Letters to the editor

Justin Surgent/Collegian

Dear Editor of the Massachusetts Daily Collegian,

The last place to get information about cannabis (marijuana) is the National Institute on Drug Abuse (Study: Marijuana negative health claims go up in smoke, Feb. 1, 2012) which uses lies, half-truths and propaganda in order to perpetuate government subsidized prohibition. Why would anyone believe cannabis is a Schedule I substance alongside heroin while meth and cocaine are only Schedule II substances?

Asserting cannabis is less fatal than tobacco and alcohol is a gross understatement. In over 5,000 years of documented use there isn’t one dead body to show cannabis has ever killed anyone. That’s safety on a Biblical scale.

A sane reason to cage responsible adults for using the God-given plant (see the first page of the Bible) doesn’t exist.

Truthfully,

Stan White

116 Climax Dr.

Dillon, Colorado

80435

Phone 970-468-1379

[email protected]

Cell: 970-485-0397

To The Editor:

For social justice reasons, and simply as one of the tens of thousands of registered voters and citizens of this Commonwealth, I am writing to openly, respectfully and impartially call upon Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, Senate President Therese Murray, House Speaker Robert DeLeo as well as all federal, state, county and municipal public office incumbents and candidates in Massachusetts to sign the Citizens for Limited Taxation, “Taxpayer Protection Pledge.”

Bearing in mind the ongoing tough economic times that we all face, the aforementioned pledge provides a measure of good faith by said office holders and candidates to the taxpayers and constituents of their respective geographical areas and to all people within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Furthermore, it clearly indicates that they shall oppose and vote against any and all efforts to increase taxes during their tenure in office, if elected.

The citizens of this state need to be reassured that their interests are going to be looked after and protected by the individuals they vote into public office. They do not need to have any further economic burdens thrust upon them in the form of increased taxes of whatever type for at least the next several years at a minimum.

Thank you.

Ron Beaty

245 Parker Road

West Barnstable, MA 02668

Phone: (508) 362-2043