Renowned rabbi discusses the role of religion in American policy -

UMass baseball haunted by missed opportunities in 8-5 loss -

‘Transcendence’ a fumbling cautionary tale -

Freedom of speech for campus employees -

‘Veep’ continues to be one of the smartest comedies around -

‘Noah’ a sinking ship -

Letter: A response to ‘There is nothing to debate about global warming’ -

Push for punishment equality -

UMass baseball lacks aggressiveness, misses opportunities in loss -

Police Log Friday, April 18 – Sunday, April 20, 2014 -

UMass student spends spring break studying sustainability abroad -

Boston Marathon 2014: A day to remember -

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

UMass baseball falls short in second straight Beanpot final -

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Fashion faux-pas to fend off at music festivals -

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The meaning of Easter -

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Is Beyoncé a ‘fashion queen’ or just The Queen? -

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Protect Our Breasts holds Earth Day Yogathon -

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

UMass holds annual Native American Powwow -

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Israel a hub for diversity -

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

UMass rowing earns five first place finishes on Friday, two on Saturday in weekend action -

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Matt Nathanson brings “All Night Noise” to Noho

Tomorrow night at the Calvin Theater in Northampton, Bay State-native Matt Nathanson will be performing as part of his “All Night Noise” tour. The concert will begin at 7:30 p.m.

Facebook

Opening for Nathanson is Rachel Platten, a singer-songwriter from New York. Her newest album “Be Here” was released in April 2011. From that album, her most popular track, according to iTunes, is the quirky “1,000 Ships.” Platten’s uplifting and instantly catchy tunes are sure to set the perfect tone for Nathanson’s set.

Nathanson’s latest album, “Modern Love,” was released in June of last year. Lyrically, it falls right into place with his usual themes of love, lust and the downfalls therein.

The first single released off “Modern Love” was “Faster,” an anthem about attraction – pure and simple. Another notable track from the album, “Run,” features the country/pop band Sugarland. The richly arranged song boasts of the passion and desire in a relationship.

“Modern Love” captures the brilliant songwriting that Nathanson has exhibited throughout his career, while shifting to a more poppy sound. In a possible attempt to make a move toward the mainstream, Nathanson has shied away from the rocking attitude featured on previous albums, like 2007’s “Some Mad Hope.” Instead, he has produced an energetic and upbeat album that features a new side to the songwriter.

The success of “Some Mad Hope” earned Nathanson the prestigious title of one of VH1’s “You Oughta Know” artists. The sensation of the album allowed him to grace such nationally televised stages as those of “Late Show with David Letterman,” “The Ellen DeGeneres Show,” “Late Night with Conan O’Brien,” “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” and “The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson.”

Nathanson’s shows are reputed to be genuinely unique concert experiences. Audiences are treated to a musical performance, a sing-along and a comedy show all bundled into one night. A performance in the cultural and diverse Northampton venue will show an enthusiastic event full of dancing, laughing and plenty of singing.

To get a taste of Nathanson’s eccentric onstage charm, listen to his live album “At the Point,” which contains tracks with entirely adlibbed lyrics about pants; throughout the album, Nathanson also takes random requests from the audience. In the past, he has played “Such Great Heights” by The Postal Service or even the iconic 1980’s dance hit “Take On Me” by A-Ha. He is known to involve the audience in these fun cover performances.

This Saturday night is one of the many stops of the “All Night Noise” tour. The dates for this tour are intertwined with Kelly Clarkson’s “Stronger” tour, though Clarkson will be performing in Ontario, Canada tomorrow night. As Nathanson’s popularity grows, he has opened for bigger and bigger names and is now headlining his own tour.

Many do not realize that Nathanson has been around for such a long time, and it is not until now that he has really gotten a spotlight in mainstream music. His first album was released over 18 years ago when he was just 20 years old. Since then, his music has matured and transformed into the beautiful masterpieces he will perform tomorrow night.

To purchase tickets for Nathanson’s “All Night Noise” tour tomorrow night at the Calvin Theater, either buy them at the box office or online at NBOtickets.com. The price of the tickets for the show is no more than $25, depending on where you want to sit.

Charlene Swain can be reached at ceswain@student.umass.edu.