BU wins double-OT thriller in Game 3 to dispatch UNH

It took all three games and then some for Boston University and New Hampshire to decide their quarterfinal series.

But in the end, BU junior Alex Chiasson scored in double-overtime to give the Terriers the 5-4 victory to move on to the semifinals.

After the first two games were split, Game 3 played out to be an instant classic. The No. 6 ranked Terriers (23-13-1) overcame a 4-1 deficit to the Wildcats (15-19-3) to force not one, but two overtimes.

The Terriers jumped out to an early lead four minutes,11 seconds into the back-and-forth contest, shortly after the Wildcats had a goal disallowed. But New Hampshire stormed back and scored roughly four and a half minutes later to tie the game up at 1-1. Six minutes after tying the game, freshman Casey Thrush scored his second goal of the period to give UNH its first lead of the contest.

The Wildcats widened their lead with two more goals in the first five minutes of the second period. But, with just under four minutes remaining in the second period, Garrett Noonan scored to pull the Terriers to within two and then scored again with just over a minute remaining in the period to pull BU to within one going into the final frame.

Wade Megan tied the game up at 4-4 just 30 seconds into the third period, setting up the stage for a dramatic finish. The game remained scoreless for the remainder of the third period and through the first overtime, but 6:42 into the second overtime, Chiasson scored his first goal of the game to go along with three assists to send BU into the HEA semifinals.

BU goalie Keiran Millan recorded 68 saves on 72 shots in the contest.

Maine passes Merrimack into semifinals

Maine punched its ticket to the HEA semifinals with a 2-1 victory over Merrimack in Game 3 of its best-of-three series.

The  Black Bears (22-12-3) scored on the power play at the 11:38 mark in the first period on a goal from Spencer Abbot to give themselves a much-needed 1-0 lead. They extended their lead early in the second period to go up 2-0 with a goal from Brice O’Connor.

But Merrimack (18-12-7) did not give up. It cut the lead in half midway through the second period on a rebound goal from Ryan Flanigan. The second period came to a close at 2-1 Maine, setting up a frantic and entertaining third period.

The third period played out to be a goalie duel, as both Maine’s Dan Sullivan and Merrimack’s Joe Cannata stopped every shot they faced in the period. The Warriors pushed frantically to tie the game up at 2-2, but the closest the game came to seeing another goal was a near miss by the  Black Bears on an empty-net.

The game ended with Maine holding onto win 2-1 and forcing a matchup against the Terriers this Friday.

Providence stuns UML

In what was the biggest upset of the weekend, Providence shocked second-seeded UMass-Lowell 1-0 to claim the best-of-three series.

The only goal came seven minutes into play, when Providence (14-19-4) freshman Ross Mauerman beat UMass-Lowell (23-12-1) Doug Carr through his legs to tally his 10th goal of the season.

The River Hawks saw their best opportunity come during a short-handed attempt, when Zack Kamrass broke in on Friar’s goalie Alex Beaudry, but was stopped by Beaudry’s blocker. Despite the strong goaltending from Providence, the River Hawks continued to press, outshooting the Friars 13-10 in the second period. Providence looked to widen its lead in the third period, by was stymied by Carr, who made 14 of his 35 saves in the third period to keep UMass-Lowell within one.

But Beaudry stood tall, collecting his third shutout of the season in a 29-save effort and helping Providence become the first seven-seed to knock off a second-seed in the Hockey East tournament.

The River Hawks will now have to wait for the NCAA tournament field to be unveiled in hopes of receiving an at-large bid.

Patrick Strohecker can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter at MDC_Strohecker

But sh�g h`��lled rights be codified in law in the first place?

Take the example of the right of same-sex couples to marry. The left generally wants to enshrine such a right in law, while the right seeks to prevent it with a constitutional amendment. This eternal butting of heads could be overcome by the simple acknowledgement that it’s not the government’s role to define such an intimate bond as marriage. Why do couples feel they need the acknowledgement of their love by the government, anyhow? If it’s for legal or tax purposes, these exceptions shouldn’t exist, since they’re an imposition of morality by the government.

We need to get away from the idea that we can impose our own morality upon others and that the government is the arena for this to happen. This, more than anything else, is what threatens to tear this country apart, when we derive so much economic benefit from being a big, diverse, unified nation. Morality is the domain of individuals and communities – not the government.

Dr. Paul’s views stem from a primarily economic viewpoint, but there are important philosophical dimensions to libertarianism as well. It is the difference between trying to codify every aspect of life to make it safe and fair and trying to embrace the freedom of the unknown future that has made America such a wonderful and ennobling place to live. It is the idea that government exists to perpetuate life and liberty, not to define the form liberty takes.

It requires a tremendous leap of faith to resist the urge to meddle in the economy, but the momentous lesson of Austrian economics, borne out of countless disasters of the 20th century, is that the more governments try to direct economies towards a certain end, the more they destroy the very mechanisms by which prosperity and agency are generated: voluntary exchange.

Gavin Beeker is a Collegian columnist. He can be reached at [email protected].