The Collegian live tweets Boston Calling -

UMass baseball finishes season with sweep over George Mason -

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in NCAA quarterfinal -

‘Green Room’ is a bloody blast of survival horror -

DaLuz: Boston Celtics stuck trudging in the mud -

Despite tallying double-digit hits, UMass baseball falls to Fairfield Tuesday afternoon -

Radiohead returns to the top with gorgeous, illuminating ‘A Moon Shaped Pool’ -

UMass women’s lacrosse advances to quarterfinal of NCAA tournament -

UMass baseball outlasts Rhode Island in series finale behind strong pitching of Brandon Walsh -

Eileen McDonald’s overtime goal advances UMass women’s lacrosse in NCAA tournament -

12 UMass students face possible arrests in connection to an alleged bad LSD trip -

UMass baseball falls in first-ever Division I matchup with UMass Lowell 7-3 -

UMass baseball gets shut out in nonconference matchup with UConn -

UMass women’s lacrosse tops Richmond, wins eighth straight Atlantic 10 championship -

UMass baseball salvages last game of weekend series with Richmond behind strong eighth inning -

UMass women’s lacrosse beats St. Joe’s, advance to Atlantic 10 championship game -

Lack of offense plagues UMass baseball in game two of doubleheader with Fordham -

UMass women’s lacrosse tops Davidson 12-5 on Senior Day -

Two arrested after report of aggravated robbery in Washington Hall last night -

Former UMass wide receiver Tajae Sharpe selected in fifth round of 2016 NFL Draft -

UMass, HCC to develop new renewable energy lab courses with 250,000 NSF grant

Masha Babyonyshev/Collegian Staff

The University of Massachusetts and Holyoke Community College are collaborating to give students at both schools the opportunity to tackle clean energy problems after receiving a $250,000 grant from the National Science Foundation.

These new renewable energy lab courses will integrate existing programs at both schools, including the Sustainability Studies program at HCC and the Integrated Concentration in Science (iCons), an 18-credit program at UMass that offers concentration areas in Renewable Energy and Biomedicine.

“In a standard lab course, the students follow ‘recipes’ that have one right answer.  But that’s not how real-world problems work,” said Scott Auerbach, director of iCons and a professor of chemistry, in a University press release.

The new courses will allow students to pursue their own interests in renewable energy by designing and implementing experiments.

The program will build upon HCC’s Learning Communities, directed by psychology professor Jack Mino, which are “team-taught interdisciplinary courses that take a common theme and view it through the lens of multiple disciplines,” according to HCC’s website.

Kate Malolatesi, a biology professor at HCC, will be joining Auerbach and Mino in developing the new lab courses.  In an interview, she said that any field that is not strictly academic is interdisciplinary to some extent, and clean energy is no exception.  Malolatesi teaches Introduction to Clean Energy in conjunction with Language and Literature II at HCC.

The new partnership will hopefully make transferring from HCC to UMass easier, according to Malolatesi.For those that transfer from HCC to UMass, “what’s better then showing them what it’s like,” Malolatesi added.

Renewable energy lab courses will be available to first-year and second-year students in sustainability studies at HCC and third-year iCons students at UMass.

David Barnstone can be contacted at dbarnsto@student.umass.edu.