UMass Dining app wins prestigious award -

Notebook: UMass men’s basketball coach Derek Kellogg ready to move on from Fordham loss, impressed with Rashaan Holloway’s improvement -

Creating realistic resolutions -

I love football, but injuries mar the game -

State funding restored for Amherst homeless shelter -

UMass swimming and diving pushing theme of intensity as regular season draws to a close -

UMass club hockey falls to NYU 3-2 in first game back from vacation -

The beauty of Birthright -

UMass women’s track and field victorious, men fifth at Joe Donahue Indoor Games -

Seven fashion in film moments -

UMass professor wins big on ‘Jeopardy!’ -

SGA president selects new vice president -

UMass women’s basketball blows 15 point fourth quarter lead, loses in double overtime to George Washington -

Cyr: Expectations for UMass men’s basketball remain consistent throughout 2016-17 season -

The death penalty is not the answer -

Donald Trump is gutting journalism with his Twitter -

Winter break’s most overlooked releases -

Hardly anything in ‘Rogue One’ scores a direct hit -

Nineteen turnovers sink UMass men’s basketball in loss to Fordham Saturday -

UMass, HCC to develop new renewable energy lab courses with 250,000 NSF grant

Masha Babyonyshev/Collegian Staff

The University of Massachusetts and Holyoke Community College are collaborating to give students at both schools the opportunity to tackle clean energy problems after receiving a $250,000 grant from the National Science Foundation.

These new renewable energy lab courses will integrate existing programs at both schools, including the Sustainability Studies program at HCC and the Integrated Concentration in Science (iCons), an 18-credit program at UMass that offers concentration areas in Renewable Energy and Biomedicine.

“In a standard lab course, the students follow ‘recipes’ that have one right answer.  But that’s not how real-world problems work,” said Scott Auerbach, director of iCons and a professor of chemistry, in a University press release.

The new courses will allow students to pursue their own interests in renewable energy by designing and implementing experiments.

The program will build upon HCC’s Learning Communities, directed by psychology professor Jack Mino, which are “team-taught interdisciplinary courses that take a common theme and view it through the lens of multiple disciplines,” according to HCC’s website.

Kate Malolatesi, a biology professor at HCC, will be joining Auerbach and Mino in developing the new lab courses.  In an interview, she said that any field that is not strictly academic is interdisciplinary to some extent, and clean energy is no exception.  Malolatesi teaches Introduction to Clean Energy in conjunction with Language and Literature II at HCC.

The new partnership will hopefully make transferring from HCC to UMass easier, according to Malolatesi.For those that transfer from HCC to UMass, “what’s better then showing them what it’s like,” Malolatesi added.

Renewable energy lab courses will be available to first-year and second-year students in sustainability studies at HCC and third-year iCons students at UMass.

David Barnstone can be contacted at dbarnsto@student.umass.edu.