Don McLean keeps the music alive at the Calvin

It was 1971.

Wikimedia Commons

The Beatles had already been broken up for a year. Woodstock was already a thing of the past. And records by Rod Stewart, Janis Joplin and The Rolling Stones were among those topping charts.

But it was a song released in November of that year by a 26-year-old New Rochelle, N.Y. native – a song which is universally agreed to reference the tragic 1959 plane crash that killed rockers Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and J.P. “The Big Bopper” Richardson – that came to define a generation.

The song, “American Pie,” remains sacrosanct in American music history – coming in at No. 5 on the Recording Industry Association’s top songs of the 20th-century chart. It was the tune that came to popularize the name of the day the three rockers died as “The Day the Music Died.”

And Don McLean, its composer, lyricist and performer, will stop by the Calvin Theater in Northampton this Saturday to undoubtedly perform that song, as well as other hits and tunes he’s composed over the years.

Indeed, “American Pie” is McLean’s most famous hit. It’s also a song that dives and dabbles into numerous cultural and political events of the 1960s – seemingly referencing a number of performers, politicians and other notable figures – though many of the lyrics remain open to interpretation.

But “American Pie” isn’t McLean’s sole claim to fame – though it is certainly his most well-known contribution to the music industry. He’s also noted for his poetic missive “Vincent,” which was also released in 1971.

That song’s a starry-eyed tribute to Vincent van Gogh, the famed 19th-century artist whose captivating paintings and intriguing life story seem to have deeply touched McLean, who sings directly to the artist in the cut.

McLean has released over 20 albums since his debut in 1970, including his first record, “Tapestry,” which contains the fairly well-known cut “And I Love You So,” which has been re-recorded by a litany of other artists in the since its debut.

But it’s the 1971 album “American Pie,” which includes both “Vincent” and the eponymous tune, which could certainly be counted as the most known and, arguably, the best release by the robust and folksy songwriter, now aged 66.

McLean, known for his deep and thought-provoking lyrics, is also said by some to be the inspiration for the 1973 tune “Killing Me Softly With His Song,” which was made famous by soul singer Roberta Flack – though that factoid remains somewhat in dispute.

He’ll take the stage at around 8 p.m. at the Calvin this Saturday. Satinwood, a folk rock band for East Windsor, Conn., will open up for him.

Tickets for the show – which are still available – range in price from $25 to $45. They can be purchased on the Calvin Theater’s website.

William Perkins can be reached at [email protected].