Amherst PD to encourage registering off-campus parties with implementation of Party Smart Registration program -

UMass Board of Trustees votes 11-2 to raise tuition and fees an average of 5.8 percent -

Mike Stone announces retirement following 2017 season -

‘Warcraft’ delivers a likeable mess -

Former UMass field hockey coach Carla Tagliente accepts job at Princeton -

50 Activists attend meeting as UMass Board of Trustees approves motion of divestment from fossil fuel companies -

Four former Minutemen depart from UMass hockey program -

Boston Calling 2016 delivers rousing farewell to City Hall Plaza -

Sufjan Stevens unearths quirk at Boston Calling -

The Collegian live tweets Boston Calling -

UMass baseball finishes season with sweep over George Mason -

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in NCAA quarterfinal -

‘Green Room’ is a bloody blast of survival horror -

DaLuz: Boston Celtics stuck trudging in the mud -

Despite tallying double-digit hits, UMass baseball falls to Fairfield Tuesday afternoon -

Radiohead returns to the top with gorgeous, illuminating ‘A Moon Shaped Pool’ -

UMass women’s lacrosse advances to quarterfinal of NCAA tournament -

UMass baseball outlasts Rhode Island in series finale behind strong pitching of Brandon Walsh -

Eileen McDonald’s overtime goal advances UMass women’s lacrosse in NCAA tournament -

12 UMass students face possible arrests in connection to an alleged bad LSD trip -

Scott Brown and Elizabeth Warren set for debate in Springfield

Flickr/Talk Radio News Service

The two candidates in one of the nation’s most closely watched U.S. Senate races will meet tonight in Springfield in what will likely be a spirited debate.

Republican Sen. Scott Brown and Democratic challenger Elizabeth Warren are set to take the stage at Springfield Symphony Hall for their third televised debate of the election season – and the only match-up taking place in the western part of the state.

The contest follows two debates in which the candidates traded jabs over everything from Brown’s voting record to tax policy to Warren’s Native American heritage claims.

And it comes on the heels of two new polls showing that the race for the seat could still go either way.

A poll of likely Bay State voters conducted between Oct. 5 -7 by Boston-based NPR station WBUR and the MassInc Polling Group shows Brown leading Warren by 4 percentage points, 47 percent to 43 percent. But a survey conducted by the University of Massachusetts between Oct. 2 -8 gives Warren the edge by 2 percentage points among likely voters, 48 percent to 46 percent.

“The Massachusetts Senate race is not a mirror image of the presidential race,” Ray La Raja, an associate professor of political science at UMass and one of the associate directors of the UMass poll, said in a statement. “By a fairly wide margin, President Obama remains more popular among un-enrolled Massachusetts voters than Elizabeth Warren, while Mitt Romney is easily eclipsed by Scott Brown among this same group. In a fairly liberal state, it suggests that Brown has done a good job insulating himself from Romney and the national Republican Party.”

Flickr/mdfriendofhillary

Both Brown and Warren have released a multitude of television ads in recent weeks, many of which go after each other’s record. And some of that rhetoric will likely be reiterated at tonight’s debate.

“This debate is a key part of one of the most closely watched Senate races in the country,” Page Brody, the executive director of the Springfield Public Forum – which is organizing the debate in conjunction with a litany of news outlets, Western New England University and UMass – said in a statement. “It puts a national spotlight on the candidates and provides Springfield and western Massachusetts with an opportunity to host a high-profile, high stakes event.”

Seating at Symphony Hall is expected to be at full capacity for the debate, with all 2,611 seats full, according to a press release. Tickets for the contest were quickly swept up when they were handed out several weeks ago.

The debate, which will be moderated by Jim Madagin of Springfield-based PBS station WGBY, will kick off at 7 p.m. and last for about an hour. It will be available as a simulcast live on ABC40 and FOX6, CBS3, WGBY 57 and WFCR 88.5 FM.