BLOG: New York Jets name Marcel Shipp new running backs coach -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

A bond over basketball: Trey Davis and Zach Coleman’s friendship continues to grow at UMass -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Inside the Park with Marky Mark: January 27, 2015 -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Panda Bear remains confident, even in the face of ‘The Grim Reaper’ -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Why I want to be a teacher -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams wrap up third-place finishes at Dartmouth Invitational -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

UMass’ College of Education to train Pakistani higher education administrators -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Hao Luong shines for UMass men’s swimming and diving on Senior Day, prepares for end of college career -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Police Log: Friday, Jan. 23, 2015 to Monday, Jan. 26, 2015 -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Rachel Hilliard, Heather MacLean highlight solid performance from UMass women’s track and field -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Hockey East: Eichel’s overtime goal pushes Boston University past Vermont -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Albums to look forward to in 2015 -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

UMass closes ahead of inclement weather -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Paranormal Research Society seeks to uncover the truth about the supernatural -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass tops Merrimack 4-1 to cap off successful weekend series -

Monday, January 26, 2015

‘Broad City’s’ second season off to a wickedly funny start -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Writers respond to State of the Union address -

Monday, January 26, 2015

St. Bonaventure earns tight victory, VCU clinches 11th straight win in Atlantic 10 men’s basketball action -

Monday, January 26, 2015

An open letter to the people who were kind when I was struggling -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass club hockey salvages weekend with tie against NYU on Saturday -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Click here to visit UMass Dining
Click here to visit UMass Dining

A Guide to Voting at UMass Amherst

Cade Belisle/Collegian

Many students and faculty members are urging people at the University of Massachusetts to get out tomorrow and cast their ballots in this year’s elections.

Those planning on voting in Amherst will have to head out to one of the many polling locations across town. Amherst is divided into 10 precincts, with eight polling stations available for use depending on the precinct. To find one’s precinct and voting center, one can visit www.wheredoivotema.com, a subsection of Massachusetts’ Secretary of State William Galvin’s website.

All voting centers will be open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Election Day, as required by state law.

The Student Government Association will be providing buses to and from the locations for those in need of a ride. Buses will depart every 15 to 20 minutes from the Haigis Mall, beginning at 11 a.m. and continuing until 7 p.m., according to an SGA Facebook event page.

SGA volunteers will also be present at Haigis Mall to instruct students on where to vote depending upon their on-campus living arrangements. The buses will stop at all of the voting locations.

Students who live in the Southwest Residential Area will vote at the Bangs Community Center, while those who reside in the Northeast Residential Area, the North Apartments or the Sylvan Residential Area will vote at the Immanuel Lutheran Church, according to the Facebook page.

For those in the Central Residential Area, save for Van Meter Hall, voting will take place at the Wildwood School. Those living in the Orchard Hill Residential Area or Van Meter Hall will need to cast their ballots at the North Fire Station.

A form of identification that includes both a student’s name and address is required in order to vote, according to the Facebook page. For students, a printed copy of their housing assignment notification from their SPIRE account is a viable form of identification. Other viable forms of ID include utility bills, government-issued checks, a paycheck or paystub, or any other official document that shows the voter’s name and current registered address.

Those who are unable to provide identification upon arrival will have their ballot cast as a provisional ballot, and their vote will only be counted upon verification of registration.

Voters are allowed to bring personal notes into the polling place to aid in voting. But the notes can’t be shared with other voters at the polling place and they must not be left in the polling place after voting.

Students who require additional aid in voting, such as those with disabilities, are legally allowed to have someone assist them with actions such as checking in and out of the polling place, entering and leaving the booth, and preparing the ballot.

SGA Speaker of the Senate Hayley Mandeville reminded students to “research the issues and the candidates” and “go out, use your voice and vote.”

Mitchell Scuzzarella can be reached at mscuzzar@student.umass.edu.