UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

Coach John Micheletto set to face former team, Vermont

Maria Uminski/Collegian

It’s commonly said to not forget where you came from.

On Tuesday, Massachusetts hockey coach John Micheletto will look across the ice and recall memories and experiences he gained as a member of the Vermont coaching staff for the nine seasons prior to coming to UMass.

However, Micheletto doesn’t plan on letting his own emotions get in the way of the task at hand.

“I tend not to, I don’t have a lot of sentimentality for that,” Micheletto said. “Inevitably, you’re going to come across guys that you coached with and coached against. No matter who we play, we need to be the same, so, it wouldn’t really be a good message if certain games had more meaning for me, or more emotion for me than others.”

Micheletto began his nine-year coaching career with the Catamounts as an assistant,but was promoted to associate head coach under current Vermont coach Kevin Sneddon for his final six seasons with the team.

Micheletto saw it all during his time in Burlington, Vt. He helped the team successfully transition from the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference into the Hockey East Association in 2005-2006, culminating in a Frozen Four appearance for the Catamounts in 2009. The ability to reach the Frozen Four is an opportunity that many coaches never have a chance to experience, so, it’s no surprise that is what sticks out most to Micheletto about his time as a Catamount.

“People sometimes have a lifetime of coaching experience without having the chance to get to the national tournament and the Frozen Four,” he said. “Just from a performance standpoint, that had to be a highlight.”

Off the ice, Micheletto had the chance to recruit a number of players and then watch them develop into special talents and eventually get drafted into the NHL. The most notable of which is Viktor Stalberg, who was drafted in 2006 by the Toronto Maple Leafs in the sixth round and is currently under contract with the Chicago Blackhawks.

In total, Micheletto helped recruit 12 players at Vermont that were later drafted, including sophomore Connor Brickley, a second round pick in 2010 and the third-highest Catamount ever drafted.

But now, Micheletto is a Minuteman, and his knowledge of Vermont could come in handy Tuesday when the two teams square off for the first time this season.

“I mean, it’s interesting because I’ll know the personnel a little better than other places or other teams that we play against,” Micheletto said. “But, (with) systems and tactics, they’re doing different things than when Joey (Gasparini) and I were there. They got a new staff and invariably there’s going to be a difference in the way that they play.”

Whether they have a new system or not, the Catamounts (2-4-2, 2-4-2 HEA) are certainly exceeding preseason expectations and are one point away from tying their entire conference total from last season. They sit one point ahead of UMass (3-5-1, 2-5-1 HEA) within the conference, but are two places ahead of the middle-of-the-pack Minutemen in a crowded conference.

The early-season success for Vermont comes as no surprise to Micheletto, who saw the progress up close last season and knew it was going to be a dangerous team this season.

“You know their success is no surprise for Joey, nor I,” Micheletto said. “Obviously, I have a lot of respect for Kevin (Sneddon) and the job that he does there. He’s proven to be a good coach over his years in the business, and we know that they have talented players because those are guys that we recruited. So, we’re approaching the game being appropriately respectful of the success that they had, without over-respecting them.”

Micheletto built a strong resume in his time at Vermont, but now he must put all prior feelings about the Catamounts in the rear view mirror and focus on preparing his UMass team for a very important game.

Micheletto has not forgotten where he came from, but it is apparent that he is focused on where he is now.

Patrick Strohecker can be reached at pstrohec@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter at @MDC_Strohecker.