Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

Quiet beauty roars in ‘Lion’ -

‘Hidden Figures’ is warm and brilliantly inspirational -

Winter parking ban to come into effect Dec. 1

Flickr/Mike Saechang

Beginning Dec. 1, Amherst’s winter parking ban will go into effect and parking of vehicles on town streets overnight will be prohibited.

Christopher Pronovost, officer of patrol operations for the Amherst Police Department, said the nightly ban runs from 2 to 6 a.m., and is usually heavily enforced until around March, when warmer weather becomes commonplace and the risk of snowstorms diminishes.

“If you’re a student, you should find winter parking arrangements,” Pronovost said in an interview Monday, saying that buying a parking permit from the University of Massachusetts might end up being worth the cost.

For a first offense, the vehicle’s license plate is run through a computer system and issued a warning.

If violating the ban a second time, a $25 fine is issued.

Upon a third offense, the owner of the vehicle is ticketed and it is towed at the owner’s expense, usually by Ernie’s Towing or Amherst Towing. Towing usually costs over $100, Pronovost said.

“We have a system in place, and we try to warn people,” Pronovost said, adding that if a surprise snowstorm hits, all cars parked on the street are towed regardless of number of offenses because “we need to clear the street.”

Pronovost said alternative parking locations during the winter ban include the parking lots located on Pray Street and off of Amity Street behind CVS.

Pronovost said he would put the average number of vehicles towed during the winter parking ban at six per week for a total of about 100 cars during the winter months.

Chelsie Field can be reached at cfield@student.umass.edu.