UMass football selected to finish fourth in MAC East preseason poll -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Legislature overrides Baker’s UMass budget cut -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Report: UMass football’s Todd Stafford arrested Saturday morning in Stamford, Connecticut -

Monday, July 20, 2015

UMass names Molly O’Mara newly-created associate director of athletics for communications and PR -

Monday, July 20, 2015

Baker approves state budget, UMass to receive $5.25 million less than legislature’s proposed figure -

Friday, July 17, 2015

UMass bathroom policy to provide comfort, safety for transgender and non-gender conforming students -

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long-time UMass professor Normand Berlin, 83, dies -

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

UMass professor and poet James Tate dies at 71 -

Thursday, July 9, 2015

State legislators propose budget, UMass could receive almost $532 million -

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

UMass completes sprinkler installation

Flickr/dibytes

The University of Massachusetts this past year completed its seven-year project of installing sprinkler systems in every dorm, according to a University release.

“There is no finish line in fire safety, but we should recognize and appreciate that UMass Amherst has achieved an outstanding level of protection for students living in residence halls,” Donald Robinson, the director of Environmental Health and Safety at UMass, said in the release.

According to the release, newly constructed residence halls and older ones that are more than 70 feet tall must have sprinkler systems installed, by order of the state fire code. But campus officials said they felt that it was important to extend the protection of the sprinkler systems to all the residence halls, regardless of height.

“I am proud of the leadership the University of Massachusetts has shown by making such a significant commitment to the safety of its students. This is an investment that will protect not only today’s students but generations of students to come,” State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan was quoted as saying in the release.

The sprinklers were installed in the University’s 45 residence halls, which house more than 12,000 students in 7,163 rooms, according to the release.  The installation program began in 2005 and it protects 31 buildings.

“Taking on a project of this magnitude reflects the university’s belief that investing in the safety of our students is a fundamental priority,” said Eddie Hull, the executive director of residential life, in the release. “Some of these facilities were constructed in the 1940s and 1950s, so this was a complicated undertaking that we principally tackled during the summer when residence halls are unoccupied. Our Facilities Planning department did an outstanding job managing the process.”

The $27.2 million voluntary retrofit program was funded by the University of Massachusetts Building Authority, which provided $22.4 million, and state funds, which provided $4.8 million, according to the release.

Mary Reines can be reached at mreines@student.umass.edu.