Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

UMass softball fails to reach expectations in up-and-down 2015 season -

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Student Activity Expo a success for RSOs

Evan Sahagian / Collegian Staff

Over 200 registered student organizations flocked to the Spring Student Activity Expo in hopes of attracting new members who were looking to get more involved in life on campus.

Organizations included fraternities and sororities, club sports, theatrical organizations, dance teams, political organizations, and volunteer organizations, as well as countless others.

Justin Mills, the president of the Ballroom Dancing Club, was excited to be at the expo representing his club.

“It’s a great opportunity,” he said. “Every year, we run out of flyers, we have like 100 names on our email list. Honestly, I could not ask for more from this thing.”

He added that they do have other ways of recruiting, such as a table in the campus center and exhibitions throughout the year in addition to having a table at the expo.

“We table in the campus center like a lot of groups, usually for the first few weeks of the semester,” Mills said. “We try and make our tryouts every year as publicized as possible, and we also have a lot of little demonstrations, performances, things like that around campus.”

For other groups, however, this is the only time during the semester that they have access to such a large potential membership.

The Table Tennis Club has both a competitive and recreational side, but fairly little publicity other than their table at the Student Activity Expo.

“I think it’s fairly effective,” said Treasurer Alec Slepchuk. “Last year we got a lot of signatures, but I think we had a better spot [next to the door].”

Slepchuk said that this event was more effective in gathering the membership of casual table tennis players, “like the people who just go down and play in the basement.” He said that more experienced players, though, would most likely seek them out online if they were truly committed to playing competitively.

“I think people who want to play table tennis or are good at table tennis will seek out where to play table tennis, so I think that’s a big part of it,” said Evan Hill, president of the club.

Among the noise and wide selection of clubs to choose from, it was important for clubs to have a defining characteristic to make them stand out from the pack. Lacking a poster, it was hard for Slepchuk and Hill to get the attention of passersby. The Ballroom Dance Club, on the other hand, used human curiosity to help them draw people to their table.

“I feel like ballroom dance isn’t really your everyday thing, so it really gets people’s attention. When we see that spark of interest, we get them to talk and give them a flyer, and it works pretty well,” Lewis said.

Mills said that it also helped to be very outgoing and talk to every student that walks by.

“The people on our team are incredibly friendly, and we will literally harass any person that walks by, and get them over here to talk to them, and we try to engage them that way,” he said.

Pat Hoff can be reached at pphoff@student.umass.edu.

You must be logged in to post a comment.