Stanley Andre reflects on his career as Senior Day approaches -

Thursday, November 27, 2014

UMass tight end Jean Sifrin mulls future, potential NFL career -

Thursday, November 27, 2014

UMass basketball trounces Northeastern 79-54 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Students and staff discuss racial and social inequality following Ferguson decision -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

UMass hockey falls to Vermont, 3-1 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

No indictment for Ferguson cop -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Chancellor addresses campus regarding grand jury decision in death of Michael Brown -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Northern Illinois hangs on against Ohio, Hunt carries Toledo to victory -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

SGA passes 10 motions at meeting Monday night -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Students and UMPD work together during the annual ‘Walk for Light’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘Conscious Consumer’ talk promotes business sustainability -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey looks to rebound against Vermont following Saturday’s blowout at home -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass women’s soccer’s Sverrisdóttir balances a soccer career between two different countries -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘First Demo’ provides a fascinating glimpse of Fugazi in its infancy -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

My mental illness does define me (to an extent) -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

How to master multitasking -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

One Direction hints at newfound sophistication on ‘Four’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

TV on the Radio sounds rejuvenated on ‘Seeds’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass men’s club soccer fundraises its way to Memphis -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey takes accountability and seeks redemption against Vermont on Tuesday -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Dropkick Murphys release delightful new album

Flickr/Adam Brown!

Keeping their unique bagpipe-laced folk punk sound intact, the members of the Dropkick Murphys have taken a big step forward with their style of playing on their eighth and newest album, “Sealed and Signed in Blood.”

Perhaps Massachusetts’ biggest punk rock product to make it to the mainstream, the Dropkick Murphys rose to prominence with the song that has become the unofficial theme of many Boston-based sports teams – “I’m Shipping up to Boston.”

The group’s last album was a much more creative and somber affair focused on storytelling. The band seems to have taken a break from that by writing only upbeat, sing-along songs this time around.

“The Boys Are Back” is the first song on the album, and it foreshadows the party that is about to follow. The bagpipes, played by the highly talented Josh “Scruffy” Wallace, are as strong as ever. Dropkick Murphys really have stayed true to Celtic roots.

“The Season’s Upon Us,” however, is easily the best song on the album. A roaring tribute to the Christmas spirit, it features a very catchy medley of bagpipes with comical lyrics to accompany it.  Don’t be surprised if it joins the already enormous list of Christmas must-have songs.

Another highlight on the track list is “Jimmy Collins’ Wake,” featuring a wonderful banjo backdrop by band member Jeff DaRosa. All the vocalists have a ball on this track, and the result is a potpourri of harmonies, not exactly the strength of most punk rock bands.

“End of The Night” is a surprise gem right at the end of the album, and it is a nice way to round up the record. A slower song, it is the biggest deviation from the “typical” Dropkick Murphys style, but shows that the band has more than one weapon in its arsenal. In fact, it is good enough that it makes the listener want more like it in the future. The Dropkick Murphys have been around for over a decade, and now would be a good time for the group to expand its repertoire of sounds if it wants to stay a force in the rapidly changing world of rock music.

It is worth mentioning that “Sealed and Signed in Blood” is still musically complex, but it can be hard to decipher all the noises that are behind the lyrics. Most common laptop speakers, for example, will not give off the most accurate impression of how well the band members synchronize their instruments.

Make sure to check out the album, as it has something for both hardcore fans and those who have yet to experience the band. People who do not take to this album probably will not enjoy Dropkick Murphys’ older work either, but this is the best and most refined the group has ever sounded.

Ayush Kumar can be reached at ayush@student.umass.edu.