Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

UMass softball fails to reach expectations in up-and-down 2015 season -

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

UMass women’s basketball lose 10th straight

Collegian file photo

Not much has gone right for the Massachusetts women’s basketball team this season. Now looking up at the other 15 Atlantic 10 teams and with its losing streak stretched to double-digits, there’s ample reason for pessimism about the lost season.

But after the final 20 minutes of UMass’ 79-60 loss to visiting Charlotte on Wednesday, the feeling among Minutewomen coach Sharon Dawley and her players was decidedly more optimistic than gloomy.

Trailing by 24 points after a first half riddled with bad turnovers and even worse shooting, UMass (3-23, 1-10 A-10) looked like a physically and mentally-defeated team ready to let the game start slipping away. And with the Minutewomen playing their second game in as many days after severe winter weather forced a postponement of its road matchup with Rhode Island until Tuesday, it would’ve been difficult to blame them.

Instead, UMass burst out of the break a hungry, changed team.

Feeding off the energy of its bench and a shooting performance that rose from 24 percent to over 58 percent after halftime, the Minutewomen took charge of the game and outscored the 49ers, 43-38, in the second half.

“We liked what we saw in spurts tonight,” Dawley said. “We actually scored more in the second half than we did (the entire game) against URI yesterday, so we were obviously more pleased with the offensive effort today.”

Considering her team’s second-half effort against one of the best teams in the conference, Dawley said she was as pleased as can be following a 19-point loss.

“I feel like there’s a lot of hope out of this loss (compared to) other losses we’ve experienced because we saw a lot of youth doing great things, and we saw people just deciding, ‘I’m going to take over,’ she said. “And I think Rashida (Timbilla) made that decision multiple times today. I thought Kim (Pierre-Louis) made that decision the minute she got on the floor, and that’s great to see.”

While Timbilla, who scored 11 points – all in the second half – and pulled down eight rebounds, has been a consistent force for UMass all season long, the strong efforts of late from Pierre-Louis have come as a nice surprise. She’s mostly been used in mop-up roles off the bench late in games this season, but has scored in double-digits in two of the past three games while serving as a gritty source of effort and heart for her teammates.

“I thought Kim did a remarkable job playing against these elite post players,” Dawley said, “coming up with 11 points and nine rebounds in 22 minutes. Pretty impressive.”

Pierre-Louis added, “I just try to do my best to help the team. You know, coach gives me a chance and coach always talks about trying to make the most of your minutes. So, that’s what you gotta try to do.”

As impressive as they played to close out the game, the Minutewomen played equally as poorly in the first half. Charlotte (21-4, 10-1 A-10) set the tone with an 11-0 run to open the game before hammering UMass into the deficit it never recovered from with a 19-6 scoring stretch over a 10 minute, 41 second period later in the half.

Four 49ers scored in double-digits to lead the offensive attack, including a game-high 17 points from Ny Hammonds and 15 points from first-team All-Atlantic 10 selection Jennifer Hailey.

Still, Dawley was impressed with the way her team fought blow-for-blow with a Charlotte team that didn’t pull its starters up 30-plus points early in the second half.

“Well, this team is pretty remarkable in the sense that we’ve struggled offensively, and we’ve dropped a lot games, but these kids are the most resilient kids I’ve ever met,” she said.

Even freshman walk-on and Amherst native Victoria Stewart, who’s played a large role in encouraging and inspiring her teammates this season, got in on the second-half action, notching her first collegiate point with a free throw off the bench.

“When someone gets rewarded for being a great kid and being a great worker,” Dawley said, “that’s what it’s all about. That’s what we’re doing this for.”

Also scoring in double-digits for the Minutewomen was Jasmine Watson, who scored a team-high 14 points and recorded six blocks. Watson and fellow senior Dee Montgomery are scheduled to play only three more games in their collegiate careers with UMass.

The first of those games will come at home against Duquesne on Feb. 24 at 2 p.m.

Daniel Malone can be reached at dmalone@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Daniel_Malone.

You must be logged in to post a comment.