Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

UMass senior dies off campus, cause remains unreleased

Amherst Police Blog

Amherst Police Blog

Officials confirmed Thursday that University of Massachusetts senior James “Jim” W. Tan, 22, of Belchertown, died Feb. 19 off campus of unreleased causes.

The death, which occurred in Amherst, was “not suspicious” and no foul play is suspected, according to Mary Carey, spokesperson at the Northwestern District Attorney’s Office.

Carey said her office responds to “all unattended deaths,” meaning that state police assigned to the DA’s office check out every death that does not occur in a hospital to ensure no crimes were committed.

UMass spokesman Daniel Fitzgibbons said Tan was not an on-campus resident.

Tan, a senior, was studying mechanical engineering at the University.

“We extend our sincere condolences to James’ family,” wrote Dean of Students Enku Gelaye in an email addressed to the UMass community yesterday morning. The email notification came two days after Tan’s passing.

Fitzgibbons said that because the death happened off campus, University officials had to wait for the DA’s office and the Amherst Police Department to finish initial investigations into the case before notifying the UMass community.

“Usually it’s a case of you have to trace down next-of-kin,” Carey said.

Fitzgibbons said the Dean of Students Office was notified first on Thursday morning, and that the office has been in touch with Tan’s family and friends.

“Our concern is for his family and friends to make sure they get support from the University and to help them work through what is a difficult time for them,” Fitzgibbons said.“I would imagine that in the next day or two there will be some word on arrangements.”

In her email, Gelaye provided supportive resources for the UMass community to use, including those at the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health, located at 127 Hills North in the Central Residential Area, Office of Religious and Spiritual Life in room 308 of the Student Union, the Dean of Students Office at 227 Whitmore and the Faculty and Staff Assistance Program, located on the ground floor of University Health Services.

Chelsie Field can be reached at cfield@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “UMass senior dies off campus, cause remains unreleased”

You must be logged in to post a comment.