UMass football fall camp: Jackson Porter adapting well following switch to wide receiver -

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

UMass senior dies off campus, cause remains unreleased

Amherst Police Blog

Amherst Police Blog

Officials confirmed Thursday that University of Massachusetts senior James “Jim” W. Tan, 22, of Belchertown, died Feb. 19 off campus of unreleased causes.

The death, which occurred in Amherst, was “not suspicious” and no foul play is suspected, according to Mary Carey, spokesperson at the Northwestern District Attorney’s Office.

Carey said her office responds to “all unattended deaths,” meaning that state police assigned to the DA’s office check out every death that does not occur in a hospital to ensure no crimes were committed.

UMass spokesman Daniel Fitzgibbons said Tan was not an on-campus resident.

Tan, a senior, was studying mechanical engineering at the University.

“We extend our sincere condolences to James’ family,” wrote Dean of Students Enku Gelaye in an email addressed to the UMass community yesterday morning. The email notification came two days after Tan’s passing.

Fitzgibbons said that because the death happened off campus, University officials had to wait for the DA’s office and the Amherst Police Department to finish initial investigations into the case before notifying the UMass community.

“Usually it’s a case of you have to trace down next-of-kin,” Carey said.

Fitzgibbons said the Dean of Students Office was notified first on Thursday morning, and that the office has been in touch with Tan’s family and friends.

“Our concern is for his family and friends to make sure they get support from the University and to help them work through what is a difficult time for them,” Fitzgibbons said.“I would imagine that in the next day or two there will be some word on arrangements.”

In her email, Gelaye provided supportive resources for the UMass community to use, including those at the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health, located at 127 Hills North in the Central Residential Area, Office of Religious and Spiritual Life in room 308 of the Student Union, the Dean of Students Office at 227 Whitmore and the Faculty and Staff Assistance Program, located on the ground floor of University Health Services.

Chelsie Field can be reached at cfield@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “UMass senior dies off campus, cause remains unreleased”