Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

“Wolf’s Law” is a journey into rediscovering The Joy Formidable

TonyFelgueiras/Flickr

With their new album “Wolf’s Law,” members of The Joy Formidable are back with a clear sense of who they are as a band. Their sophomore effort is a carefully written and expertly executed album of powerful, gleaming alternative rock through and through.

This three-piece alt-rock band – currently based in London but formed in North Wales in 2007 – is made up of Ritzy Bryan on lead vocals and lead guitar; Rhydian Dafydd on bass guitar and back-up vocals; and Matt Thomas on drums.

On their debut album, “The Big Roar,” the members of The Joy Formidable made it clear that they wanted to make modern rock music that felt big and powerful. This style has held true for “Wolf’s Law,” as well. When listening to this album, it’s hard to picture the band performing anywhere other than a stadium or arena.

“Wolf’s Law” is very much a journey into discovering what this trio is really about. The album opens up with “This Ladder Is Ours,” a song that sums up the style and immediately makes apparent to newcomers what the band is all about, beginning with a slow orchestral build up before dropping into power-chord-heavy rock.

Those not accustomed to The Joy Formidable may be surprised when they first hear Bryan’s beautiful and gentle voice first come into this track, but don’t be fooled: she has a fantastic vocal range, and while she may sound calm and soft on this first track, she can easily switch gears and come at you with incredible energy and voracity.

She opens up “Wolf’s Law” by inviting us to come along for the ride: “Let’s take this walk, it’s long overdue / And let this love grow over you finally,” confidently telling new listeners that they should have been here before and letting those familiar with them know it’s been too long, while also setting up the theme of self-discovery that the album will focus on.

Sticking with the theme of venturing out and discovering who they are, the next track, “Cholla,” is telling of two things: the band’s sound and style is more solidified and also keeps with the general theme of discovery.

Bryan’s amazing range is on excellent display towards the middle of the album. On “Silent Treatment,” her soft and emotional whispers of “I, over you” lull the senses into a state of tranquil calmness.

This sleepy feeling doesn’t last long, however, as she instantly comes back with biting intensity on the next track, “Maw Maw Song,” ripping away the sleepy haze and violently throwing listeners into a heavy rock song. This is where The Joy Formidable truly shines, building from soft acoustic and orchestral tones to grand-sounding heavy rock. “Maw Maw Song” is also a great example of the group’s ability to let its musical talent speak for itself, allowing the members to indulge in a fantastic guitar solo coupled with slow-pounding percussion. This creates an incredible energy that is evident throughout the entire album, but hits a highpoint here.

“Wolf’s Law” ends with a bit of a melancholy note on the aptly titled “The Turnaround.” It brings the journey full circle and demands that listeners reflect at where they’ve been and where they’ve come from. Here Bryan softly croons, “Hey, I’m gonna stay here and wait / For the turnaround,” and “The best part is over and nothing I’m feeling is new,” which puts us right back at the album’s start and therefore the journey.

Members of The Joy Formidable have clearly hit their stride with “Wolf’s Law.” This is a band that knows its sound and style. The group has used utilized what worked well on “The Big Roar” to perfection, using it as a strong base to build from, creating a fuller, grander sound that is brimming with incredible energy.

Cory Willey can be reached at cjwilley@student.umass.edu.