UMass men’s lacrosse aided by its defensive presence

There’s a popular saying in sports that defense wins championships. And you can count Massachusetts men’s lacrosse coach Greg Cannella as a believer in that phrase.

The No. 5 Minutemen (3-0) are often known for their up-tempo attack that’s been led this season by the likes of Kyle Smith, Matt Whippen and Andrew Sokol. But what is often overlooked is the play of the defensemen.

Taylor C. Snow/Collegian

UMass was kept off the scoreboard for long stretches of Saturday’s 8-6 win over Harvard. The Crimson, like many of the Minutemen’s opponents, tried to slow down the game in their own attacking zone to take the offense out of its rhythm, putting the pressure on the UMass defense.

The group answered the bell, and in the process met its team objective of holding an opponent to eight points or less for the first time this season.

“It’s no different in the sport of lacrosse that you’ve gotta be solid defensively, particularly when you get in games where the other team is holding down your offense,” Cannella said. “Then each possession becomes that much more important. The stops become that much more important.”

Cannella was hesitant to call it his defense’s best performance this season because he feels the group is still improving. However, he credits most of the unit’s success to its experience.

Even with junior James Fahey out with an injury, the Minutemen have a reliable defensive corps in front of goalkeeper Zachary Oliveri.

Seniors Ryan Hollenbaugh and Jake Smith have headlined a group that’s 15th in the nation in scoring defense at 8.67 goals per game. Hollenbaugh was especially key in the win over Harvard, harassing ball-carriers throughout the game and forcing them to take tough shots.

Brett Tobin’s physicality has brought a different element to the unit at the long pole. Cannella also mentioned midfielders Bobby Tyler and Ryan Izzo as difference-makers defensively.

“It’s always a team defense, it’s not just one guy or two guys,” Cannella said. “You can’t count on your goalie to make all the saves, or one defenseman to shut down that attackman because they got six guys that you have to defend.”

Cannella gives a bulk of the credit to assistant coach Doc Schneider. Schneider was a former player under Cannella – a starting goalie from 2006-2009 – and now runs the defense and goalies in his third year on the staff.

Schneider is often recognized on the sidelines and in practice for his colorful enthusiasm and intensity. But he’s also known within the team’s inner-circle for his high lacrosse IQ.

“Doc does a great job of preparing them in terms of game-planning and scheming and matchups, and winning those individual battles,” Cannella said.

The rock of the defense has been Oliveri. The redshirt freshman has made a number of big saves in each of his first three collegiate starts, amassing an 8.44 goals against average.

His importance to the team goes beyond the big saves and the strong stat line, however. His presence makes the defense more comfortable on the field, and more willing to be aggressive and take chances.

“Whenever you have a goalie making saves, you have guys in front of you playing more comfortably,” Cannella said. “They know that if they make a mistake then Zach will be there to help bail them out. If your goalie’s not making saves, guys play a little bit tighter, they feel they can’t get beat.”

Cannella expects another big challenge for his defense when Brown comes to Garber Field on Saturday. But for him, it’s about seeing the defense consistently improving as a unit.

“Collectively there’s still a lot of room to improve,” he said, “and that’s always your goal to be playing great defense throughout the season, but certainly moving forward.”

Smith likes what he’s seen so far from the defense as a whole, and expects the team to remain consistent.

“They’ve been doing awesome with it so far, and I don’t think that’ll change,” he said. “We have a lot of depth down there, a lot of depth on close defense and (defensive midfield), so I think they’ll keep it up.”

Nick Canelas can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @NickCanelas.