John Ashcroft faces criticism during speech -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass football continues move in new direction in annual Spring Game -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Student rally in support of Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Thousands gather in Amherst Commons for 23rd Annual Extravaganja -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Sexual violence is not ‘normal’ -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

One year after Boston Marathon bombings, UMass doctor Pierre Rouzier continues passion to help -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Photo Slideshow: UMass United Rally -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Get Yourself Tested at UMass -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Library labyrinth targets stress -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

There is nothing to debate about global warming -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass hits the road to take on LaSalle -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

No. 11 UMass women’s lacrosse looks to extend winning streak against Richmond -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive latest McCormack Executive-in-Residence -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Got a little Irish in you? -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass doctoral student awarded Soros Fellowship -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass Dressage Team discusses the lesser-known sport -

Canelas: Things worth watching in Spring Game 2014 -

‘The Walking Dead’ finale resurrects a dull season -

Five places to study at UMass -

UMass tennis team battles injuries as season comes to an end -

Letter to the Editor

When Karl Rove came to speak at the University of Massachusetts last week, the biggest problem was not his satanic presence, but rather the actions and reactions by many parties involved in the event.

Rove, along with other countless politicians, should be jailed for international war crimes. But unfortunately he is not in jail, which means he has the right to speak at UMass just like everyone else.

The notion to request him not to speak is preposterous. The first amendment allows every single person in this country to speak their mind, despite the inaccuracy, fictitious or deceitful nature of the speech. When freedom of speech begins to apply to only certain individuals, it ceases to exist. The opposition’s first mistake was attempting to disrupt Rove’s freedom of speech.

The next bad move was continuously interrupting Rove’s speech. The acts just made Rove’s opposition look worse. This act especially does not help the situation after Rove said he heard Amherst is an open-minded place. Thanks to the domination of the opposition in the question-and-answer session, many individuals were unable to ask him any pressing questions.

What was most alarming, however, was the overwhelming number of uninformed people in the audience. As I stood in line, one individual was handed an excellent paper compiled by protesters about all of Rove’s wrongdoings. The individual declared the essay too harsh on Rove and said that he just wanted to hear what Rove had to say and did not hold much of a political opinion. His refusal to be informed is what I consider to be the worst problem facing our country today: Americans read the headlines, not the details and complain about political issues without making steps to correct the issues they read about. What a way to fix our problems.

It is unacceptable. As citizens, we have a responsibility to be informed about what is going on in the world. I am tired of explaining what drone strikes are and how companies have a bigger voice than people do in politics. I am tired of people shrugging their shoulders afterward as if the deaths of innocent people abroad are no big deal and believing that what the big corporations do is beyond students. We have to educate ourselves and care about more political issues than just marijuana reform.

The only way to get ahead in any situation is through education; it is why we are all in college right?

Instead of applauding a man using simple and frankly incorrect logic, think about what he is saying and instead of screaming at him because you see his lies, why not formulate an intelligible question and pin him in a corner with it?

— Daniel Diefenbach, UMass student

One Response to “Letter to the Editor”
  1. Hanna Kennedy says:

The problem here is that the idiotic occupy wall street nuts who heckled Karl Rove don’t have the intellectual capacity to ask tough questions. A number of these protesters had to read their goofy slogans off a note card because they had little or no idea what they were talking about. In addition, you forgot to mention the elderly Amherst residents in attendance that night who repeatedly interrupted Rove’s speech Now that is pathetic and an example of being uninformed. One is likely informed in your opinion if they only agree with your viewpoint and are clearly bigoted or unintelligent if they disagree with you. In addition, you forgot to mention the elderly Amherst residents in attendance that night who repeatedly interrupted Rove’s speech while muttering obscenities and conspiracy theories.