VIDEO: UMass United Ralley in support of Derrick Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Friday, April 18, 2014

John Ashcroft faces criticism during speech -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Student rally in support of Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Thousands gather in Amherst Commons for 23rd Annual Extravaganja -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Sexual violence is not ‘normal’ -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

One year after Boston Marathon bombings, UMass doctor Pierre Rouzier continues passion to help -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Photo Slideshow: UMass United Rally -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Get Yourself Tested at UMass -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass football continues move in new direction in annual Spring Game -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Library labyrinth targets stress -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

There is nothing to debate about global warming -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass hits the road to take on LaSalle -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

No. 11 UMass women’s lacrosse looks to extend winning streak against Richmond -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive latest McCormack Executive-in-Residence -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Got a little Irish in you? -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass doctoral student awarded Soros Fellowship -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass Dressage Team discusses the lesser-known sport -

Canelas: Things worth watching in Spring Game 2014 -

‘The Walking Dead’ finale resurrects a dull season -

Five places to study at UMass -

Blue Wall to undergo renovations

Nicole Evangelista/Daily Collegian

Students who frequent the Blue Wall for meals will soon be forced to find alternatives as the University of Massachusetts plans to undergo renovations of the dining area after the end of this semester.

The transformation, which is expected to be completed by Aug. 15, 2014, will include a redesign that is hoped to provide better, more efficient service to its customers and become a more inviting space, according to UMass Director of Retail Dining Services David Eichstaedt.

Though the new design of the Blue Wall has not yet been finalized, Eichstaedt said it is likely that self-sufficient stations will be set up around the perimeter.

“We’re changing our way of thinking (regarding) the quality of the food and the preparation,” Eichstaedt said, “and this new design will allow us to do that.”

There is expected to be a larger variety of seating after the renovations with increased space for dining. In fact, according to Eichstaedt, the plan is to increase seating enough so that it will be feasible to close the Hatch, consolidating the Hatch, Blue Wall and the Marketplace into one organization.

Designers will be creating a “more open, free-flowing space” by removing the concrete walls in Blue Wall, according to Eichstaedt. The layout will also allow for traffic to flow quicker, according to Ken Toong, executive director of Auxiliary Enterprises.

The opening of the new academic building next to the Campus Center was “a big contributing factor” in deciding to renovate the Blue Wall, Eichstaedt said.

“We knew that we had to increase the seating and increase the number of food service venues to get people through fast enough,” he said. “We’re over capacity now, and when that new classroom building opens, it’s going to be even worse.”

Eichstaedt and Toong estimate that the renovations could cost anywhere from $14 to $19 million. Some of the funding would come from “state bonding through UMass Building Authorities,” Eichstaedt said. The rest of the money would be taken from what the university has reserved, according to Toong.

Bruner/Cott Architects and Planners, which is based in Cambridge, has been put in charge of designing the layout for the new Blue Wall, while Lee Kennedy Co. Inc. out of Quincy will head the actual construction.

During the renovation, accommodations will be made for Blue Wall and Market customers.

“We’re going to set up temporary feeding stations throughout the Student Union and Campus Center to help support the displaced customers,” Eichstaedt said. “We’re going to use the Student Union Ballroom as overflow seating for lunch Monday through Friday.”

There are also plans to have two food trucks parked as close as possible to the Campus Center to compensate for the loss of the Blue Wall, and the Hatch will have extended hours. It will be open from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. on weekends.

When the Blue Wall reopens, it will be “more sustainable,” Eichstaedt said.  The compostable paper products such as plates and cups that are currently in use will be replaced by china plates and cups for the students that intend to stay at the dining area to eat.

Toong suspects that the Blue Wall will be so busy after its reopening that it will offer more jobs for the students as well.

The rest of the Campus Center will also experience changes. According to Eichstaedt, the Reading Room, which currently hosts meetings, is going to become “a quick-serve market,” similar to a Grab-N-Go.

After renovations of the Blue Wall have been completed, Worcester Dining Commons will be the next dining area to undergo renovations, followed by Franklin Dining Commons.  Renovations of Worcester and Franklin will likely occur in 2016 and 2018, respectively.

Toong’s goal for the restorations is to bring the next generation of retail dining to campus. He hopes to make the Blue Wall “the best retail location in the nation.”

Shelby Ashline can be reached at sashline@umass.edu.

5 Responses to “Blue Wall to undergo renovations”
  1. Noman says:

There has to be better accommodations with the Blue Wall closed next semester. The Hatch is extremely packed in the afternoon even with Blue Wall open, so now you’re going to ask students to stand in long lines outside for the food trucks? Quite unreasonable if you ask me, but I guess I shouldn’t be surprised considering care for students has always been secondary to construction.

2. Dr. Ed Cutting says:

Missing in all of this is (a) what the Bluewall originally was (the campus pub) and (b) the history of the smashed concrete walls (broken down when the drinking age was dropped to 18 and hence there was no longer a need to maintain the barrier between between the bar and where the under-aged students were allowed to be).
    .
    UMass once had THREE bars — Bluewall, Top of the Campus and the Hatch — and apparently, a bowling alley as well. But that was then and this is now. “Feeding Stations” are what one has for cattle — which, reflecting on how UMass now treats students, is perhaps an apt analogy…

3. Emily Devenney says:

While this may be a necessary improvement, taking over space in the Student Union Ballroom for an entire semester is completely unfair to RSOs, who have enough trouble trying to host events in the space as it is. Were students consulted on the logistical planning of this? How recently was this decision made?

4. Noman says:

As an alum, I’m a little disappointed to hear about the weak alternatives UMass is suggesting. With the Hatch packed as it is during lunch hours, there is no way it can handle the masses that would regularly go to Blue Wall. Instead, the university is going to have individuals wait in long lines outside for food trucks in the cold? Where are they going to eat? Really feel that students should speak out against this plan.

Would appreciate if my comment isn’t left deleted by the Collegian staff like last time as well!

5. Tim says:

Ed the campus still has multiple bars.

Where was the Bowling Ally? This is the first I’ve ever heard of that.