Students for Justice in Palestine, administration react to inflammatory posters -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UMass falls short, lacks energy in 82-71 loss to Saint Joseph’s -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Drake’s surprise mixtape yields few surprises -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Potential shutdown of the Department of Homeland Security offers chance for Republican legislature to learn from its mistakes -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Winless UMass faces Brown -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Jose Gonzalez returns with graceful “Vestiges & Claws” -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

SGA to host Women’s Leadership Symposium -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UMass women’s basketball finishes road schedule with matchup against Dayton -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Keystone XL pipeline sparks pollution awareness -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Dartmouth and Fordham to start stretch of key games for Minutewomen -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

DeAndre Bembry has career day in win over UMass -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Discussion on Palestine incorporates history as well as recent posters targeting SJP -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UMass set for season finale in Connecticut -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Imagine Dragons deliver nothing but “Smoke & Mirrors” on their second album. -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UMass student files federal civil rights lawsuit against Amherst police officers after ‘Blarney’ arrest -

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

SGA spring elections campaigns kick off -

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

UMass must contain Bembry in rematch with St. Joe’s -

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Chaz Williams returns from his stint overseas, signs contract with Maine Red Claws -

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

A look into the memorable styles of New York Fashion Week -

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Obama fails to mention military in long-awaited remarks on extremism -

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

UMass women’s basketball holds off Rutgers for first win of season

For the first time all season, everything came together for the Massachusetts women’s basketball team on Wednesday night at Mullins Center.

Led by Rashida Timbilla’s double-double of 17 points and 12 rebounds, the Minutewomen held off a furious Rutgers rally in the final minutes, coming away with a 64-63 upset victory to give UMass its first win of the season.

Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian

“We felt like this was coming,” UMass coach Sharon Dawley said. “They just had that look about them. They led themselves.”

Timbilla certainly had that look Wednesday night.

Leading both sides in points and rebounds, while also dishing out six assists along with three blocks and a steal, she gave the Minutewomen (1-3) the all-around performance that they’ve been looking for since the start of the season.

“They push to be more aggressive all the time,” Timbilla said. “So I just thought, why not go for the win?”

But, it was a win that almost didn’t happen for UMass.

Leading 64-53 with just over four minutes to play, the Minuetwomen went cold from the field, as they were held scoreless for the remainder of the game. They missed all three of their field goal attempts, both of their free throw tries and turned the ball over three times as their lead kept shrinking.

The Scarlet Knights (3-1) took advantage and went on a 10-0 run, cutting the UMass lead down to a single point with 6.7 seconds left to play.

Asked what was going through her mind as Rutgers staged its late-game comeback, shooting guard Emily Mital wasn’t fazed by what was going on.

“We’re going to win this game,” she said. “That’s all I was thinking about.”

Dawley was impressed with the way her team handled the adversity of clinging to a lead that was slowly slipping away.

“No one really got shaken up at all,” she said. “The team looked very composed and clicked well.”

UMass clicked well right from the get-go. Kymber Hill and Kim Pierre-Louis joined Mital and Timbilla in reaching double digits in scoring with 10 points apiece.

Senior Kiara Bomben also chipped in with seven points and three assists, capping off a strong overall team effort from Dawley’s squad.

“That’s what you need to do to be successful,” Dawley said. “Their huddles on the floor, it said it all. They were a unit tonight.”

Despite trailing by double-digits the majority of the second half, Rutgers never went away. Led by Rachel Hollivay’s dominance in the post with 14 points and five rebounds, the Scarlet Knights didn’t make things easy for the Minutewomen.

Although Rutgers entered the contest heavily favored, UMass played the underdog role to perfection.

“Every time they punched us, we punched back,” Mital said.

Mital hit two clutch 3-pointers midway through the second half to keep the Scarlet Knights at bay. Whenever Rutgers seemed eager to make a run, Mital answered.

“I know I’m a shooter, coach wants me to shoot it, so I let it go,” she said. “That just gave us more momentum on the defensive end.”

Joey Saade can be reached at Jsaade@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Jsaade1225.