Letter: A call for action and cooperation

To the editor:

As current and former members of University of Massachusetts Jewish Leaders in Business, Student Alliance for Israel and Hillel, we object to the recent poster equating Students for Justice in Palestine with terrorist behavior.

First and foremost, we utterly reject the methods of the poster. There is absolutely no excuse for this kind of public behavior and press material. We call on the proponents of these posters to cease these efforts and engage in meaningful dialogue.

Let’s take a moment to rewind four years.

In 2011, the UMass students from the Muslim Student Association, SAFI and JLB went to the United Nations and presented to Jordan’s UN Ambassador, Prince Zeid Ra’ad, a plan for peaceful economic development for Palestinians, called Cities of Peace. We need these types of efforts to stop fearing one another, to stop pretending to have power when we are really just afraid, to stop lashing out in anger and to learn to cooperatively solve conflicts.

No group agrees amongst themselves on viable solutions. The older generations have failed to figure out how to make this work. The younger generation is faced with the choice to follow the same failed methods of its elders or to commit to a different approach that will make the world safer for our children.

We need to start here and start now: Why not UMass?

Dialogue and cooperative action is what we need most. Ask questions and respectfully listen with an open mind to the answers. As the generation that can and will change the world, we have to change the approach to problem solving so that we can create a sustainable world that promotes economic and personal well-being for all.

So, let’s talk, let’s dialogue – not just two sides, but more sides. Let’s get the emotions out but hear and focus on the issues. Let’s address power issues but not just try to overpower each other. Let’s describe the consequences on all sides but remember that the condemnations, right or wrong, just haven’t worked. Let’s not just talk but work to change the consequences.

We have to get beyond any analysis; we have to take cooperative action.

For five years JLB and MSA worked cooperatively on educational and social programming. We even had Gov. Deval Patrick come listen to us. We managed to have cooperating Israelis and Palestinians come to UMass. We reached thousands of students and found fun and understanding together. We are capable of more.

We, the young, have to teach the world how cooperative co-existence works.

Again, I ask the question: Why not UMass?

Laurie Kamenetsky ’16, Elan Radbil ’16, Scott Savran ’14,
Seth Rotberg ’13, Matt Dornfeld ’12, Scott Nielsen ’86 Ed.D