LuxDeluxe embraces the stage in hometown of Northampton

Courtesy of LuxDeluxe Official Facebook Page)
(Courtesy of LuxDeluxe Official Facebook Page)

NORTHAMPTON – It was both a social gathering and musical event at the Iron Horse Music Hall in Northampton last Saturday night. While rock-oriented bands The Snaz and LuxDeluxe rocked the stage, friends and family members alike watched with the utmost amount of pride. Headlining act and Northampton natives LuxDeluxe were home and ready to impress.

There wasn’t a long wait for the opening act, The Snaz. Once doors opened and the audience was let inside, the four young members graced the stage. Lead singer Dharma Ramirez mesmerized the crowd with a shining metallic kimono and a clear concentration on the music.

After a technical difficulty, the group was stopped short in their first song and instructed to leave the stage until the problem was resolved. After only a few moments, the whimsical band was back onstage and officially began their set.

The Vermont natives played tracks such as, “Try and Try and Try,” “Save You” and a new song titled, “Strung Out On Candy Bars.” Guitarist Nina Cates explained the freshness of the piece by stating that it was a, “new song we just recorded last weekend.” During the song, they welcomed a fellow musician and member of their hometown of Brattleboro, Vermont: Archer Parks. Parks is lead guitarist of his band, Nomad VS Settler and is a youthful 14 years old.

After The Snaz finished its set and the stage was deconstructed, they were embraced by friends and family members who congratulated them on a great performance. The band definitely has a maturity and music style beyond their years; each member is still in their teens. Their presence on stage is welcoming and they displayed an absolute passion that shined just as brightly as the sparkles that glimmered from Ramirez’s outfit under the Iron Horse spotlights.

Shortly after the opening act, instruments were switched, tall glowing cylinders were placed for decoration at the edge of the stage and LuxDeluxe began its set. Audience members were first greeted by four members of the band. The lead guitarist, bassist, keyboardist and drummer all stood idly waiting for the semi-dramatic entrance of lead singer Ned King.

After a few moments King intricately approached the stage with a martini glass and red carnations in hand. He then playfully threw each flower into the crowd one by one. The spirited musician wore a black blazer, black shirt and black pants, displaying an incredible contrast from other band members who wore rather colorful pieces of clothing. This small detail allowed for King to stand out from the other members, which could very well have been intentional.

LuxDeluxe opened its set with a slow-moving tune from their second album, “It’s a Girl,” titled “MTV.” It was an interesting move on the band’s part, as most live musical events begin with heavily beat-driven pieces to increase the crowd’s excitement. King gripped the stem of his martini glass and took small sips between lyrics until the third song. The gesture made the lead singer appear nonchalant with a carefree attitude.

King clearly portrays himself this way to construct the persona of a stereotypical rock star. Other LuxDeluxe members displayed themselves as down-to-earth and focused solely on pleasing their vibrant audience. They continued their set, playing such tracks as, “Maybe Baby,” “Talk to Her” and “So Far Away.”

Keyboardist Gabe Bernini explained their eagerness to attempt an act that could potentially invigorate the crowd.

“We want Ned to jump into the crowd and switch shirts with somebody. You can put as many clothes on him as you want,” Bernini humorously made clear. King then did as he was told and entered the audience to come back to the front of the stage with three new pieces of clothing. This sort of interaction with fans rapidly sparked the energy in the room.

It is dutifully clear that LuxDeluxe devotes much of its on-stage attention to charming audience members.

King is a bustling force as shown through his rapid dance movements. At the show, he played an important role in the creation of the lively energy. However, in some moments the lead singer’s vigor was imbalanced next to his fellow members’ and might be overwhelming to some. Despite this, anyone observing the show would recognize King’s passion for his art. It was often admirable.

LuxDeluxe’s hometown concert exhibited an immense appreciation and importance for local musicians. Residents rose to the occasion and welcomed the group home with open arms. The band’s indie rock style allowed for both a calming and energized fervor throughout their diverse sounds.

LuxDeluxe has three more shows in the area over the next few months. The band’s next stop is Amherst College on May 1. Details can be found on their official website.

Lauren Crociati can be reached at [email protected].