UMass hockey announces captains for 2016-17 season

(Collegian File Photo)
(Collegian File Photo)

The Massachusetts hockey team announced its captains for the 2016-17 season on Tuesday. The group features a trio of seniors and one junior.

For the second year in a row, senior forward Steven Iacobellis will be the team’s head captain, making him the 10th two-year captain in NCAA history and the fifth in the Minutemen history. The alternate captains are junior defenseman Brennan Baxandall, senior defenseman Dominic Trento and senior goaltender Alex Wakaluk.

Iacobellis has played in 103 games in his first three years with UMass, scoring 23 goals with 43 assists for a total of 66 points. Iacobellis has also placed in the top five for scoring on the team his first three seasons.

Baxandall has played in 55 games in his first three years with UMass and notched seven points with two goals and five assists. The three-time Hockey East All-Academic team member also had 23 blocked shots last season.

Trento had a career year during the 2015-16 season, as he wound up fourth on the team in goals (eight) and sixth on the team in points (17). He has 27 career points in 58 games with 13 goals and 14 assists.

Wakaluk saw more playing time during his 2015-16 junior season. He played a career-high 439 minutes in 10 games and stopped 206 shots. His first victory came last season against the Army Black Knights on Jan. 2 when UMass claimed victory 2-1 in overtime. Wakaluk also had 22 saves in the game.

The Minutemen open the season in their annual exhibition matchup with Division III foe Dalhousie on Friday Oct. 1 at the Mullins Center.

Zander Manning can be reached at [email protected].