Just Ask: Don’t befriend a cheater

Just Ask

Advice from two college students who have been there and done that

Q. I made a new friend in one of my classes this semester and we get along great, but I am a little worried though. Lately he keeps calling me to get answers for our assignments and last week he copied all the same references I used for a paper. I have a hard time saying no because I don’t mind helping out a friend once in a while. But I’m afraid if I get caught by the teacher, she’ll think I’m cheating. What should I do?

A. It’s great to have new friends, but this one doesn’t sound worth keeping around. If you’d like to give him a chance to shape up though, there are some things to do to let him know that copying off you is not okay.

First off, try not making yourself available for him to cheat off of you. If a big assignment is due tomorrow, let your answering machine pick up the phone tonight. Don’t come to class too early, or he may show up pen in hand ready to plagiarize.

If he wants to study with you, don’t come with your work already done. This way it will be a joint effort.

Keep in mind that Sacramento State has a no-tolerance policy on cheating. If you get caught letting him cheat, you could be in just as much trouble as he is.

Consequences will likely be an ‘F ‘ on the assignment and could result in probation, suspension or expulsion from school.

This may be that he just isn’t a good student and is taking advantage of your work because you’re letting him.

But don’t forget that he could be using you, too. So just be careful the next few weeks and see how things go.

Is your roommate driving you crazy, school stressing you out or is your romantic relationship in the slumps? E-mail your questions to [email protected].