Violence Against Women’ successful despite delay

Elena Feartherston was an hour and a half late for her presentation “Women Against Violence,” Tuesday, but approximately 150 people stuck around to hear her speak.

“It was the best crowd of people we’ve had,” said Pat Grady, Director of theWomen’s Resource Center. “There was a nice mix of men and women in the crowd.”

An incredible student response to Featherston’s visit last year prompted an invitation to return this year.

Featherston started out the discussion by making light of her ordeal to get to Sacramento State. There was a lot of discussion especially by the male population in the audience who contributed questions and comments in the areas of coercion and the myth of playing hard to get.

Featherston also focused on relationships, how economics and advertising in the media can affect a relationship negatively.

“It’s okay to beat your wife in some cultures,” said Grady.

Featherston covered a lot of perspectives concerning this, including relationships globally.

Featherston is a lecturer, workshop leader, writer, cultural critic and filmmaker. Her writings have appeared in numerous magazines and journals. In 1994 her book, “Skin Deep: Women Writing on Color, Culture ‘ Identity.”

She is also the producer/director of the award-winning documentary “Alice Walker: Visions of the Spirit.” Featherston is an adjunct professor at New College of San Francisco in the departments of psychology and literature.