America’s resolve commended

President George W. Bush addressed the nation in a joint session of Congress last night commending the continued rescue efforts and reiterating America’s resolve to fight terrorism all around the globe.

“Our war on terror begins with al Qaeda, but it does not end there. It will not end until every terrorist group of global reach has been found stopped and defeated,” Bush said. “Every nation, in every region, now has a decision to make. Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists. From this day forward, any nation that continues to harbor or support terrorism will be regarded by the United States as a hostile regime.”

Receiving applause from both political parties, the President listed the demands that the United States was making upon the Taliban which included to deliver leaders of the al Qaeda hiding in their country, to release foreign individuals, to hand over terrorists, and to give the United States access to all terrorist training camps. He explained to both Congress and the American people that Afghanistan’s cooperation was important in the fight against terrorism and that if they did not support the United States, they would be dealt the same type of punishment from the country that the terrorists would face.

“There are thousands of these terrorists in more than sixty countries. They are recruited from their own nations and neighborhoods, and brought to camps in places like Afghanistan where they are trained in the tactics of terror,” Bush said. “They are sent back to their homes or sent to hide in countries around the world to plot evil and destruction.”

The President also offered words of hope to the American people and appreciation for the support of other countries and their leaders, including British Prime Minister Tony Blair, who was in attendance during the address.

“We have seen the state of our Union in the endurance of rescuers, working past exhaustion. We have seen the unfurling of flags, the lighting of candles, the giving of blood, the saying of prayers – in English, Hebrew, and Arabic,” he said. “We have seen the decency of a loving and giving people, who have made the grief of strangers their own.”

Advocating for fair treatment of all Americans, the President asked for tolerance on the part of the people of the United States towards citizens of Arab descent.

“I ask you to live your lives and hug your children. I know many citizens have fears tonight, and I ask you to be calm and resolute, even in the face of a continuing threat,” President Bush said. “I ask you to uphold the values of America, and remember why so many have come here. We are in a fight for our principles, and our first responsibility is to live by them. No one should be singled out for unfair treatment or unkind words because of their ethnic background or religious faith.”

Taking time out to commemorate those who lost their lives during the tragic events, the President introduced Lisa Beamer, the wife of United Airlines flight 93 passenger Todd Beamer. Beamer was one of the people on board the flight that attempted to take the plane back in order to save American lives. The President commented on Beamer’s actions calling him, “an exceptional man.”

Bush also clutched the badge of a police officer fallen in the line of duty in his hand, emotionally explaining that, “I will not forget this wound to our country, or those who inflicted it. I will not yield. I will not rest.”

Security in the Capitol was heightened during Bush’s address due to recent threats of attacks. Vice President Dick Cheney was absent from the speech for security reasons, as was a member of the Cabinet.