Bush reacts to terrorism

The country waited with baited breath for the official statement by George W. Bush regarding the United State’s course of action after the violent acts of terrorism yesterday, and they were not disappointed.

At 8:30 p.m. the President gave his statements regarding the tragedy from the White House offering condolences to mourning families around the world and promising that “our country is strong” and that those responsible would be punished.

“The search is under way for those who are responsible for these evil attacks. We will make no distinction between the terrorists who committed those attacks and those who harbor them,” Bush said.

An aide relayed the first word of the two planes crashing into the World Trade Center to the President yesterday morning while he was at an elementary school in Sarasota, Florida waiting to make a speech regarding education. He made a statement at 9:30 Tuesday morning calling the incident a “difficult moment for America.”

“Today we’ve had a national tragedy. Two airplanes have crashed into the World Trade Center in an apparent terrorist act on our country,” the President said. “Terrorism against our nation will not stand.”

The President on his way back to Washington D.C. when he heard the news of the terrorist act that caused the collapse of a portion of the Pentagon and was taken to a Barksdale Air Force Base in Louisiana because of the dangers of returning to the White House at that time. After delivering a statement to the American people he was taken to an underground bunker in Omaha, Nebraska where he spoke to Vice President Dick Cheney in a teleconference format. Laura Bush, the First Lady was also taken to a safe place for a time in order to attempt to protect her from danger. The President made a second address from Louisiana promising punishment to those responsible for the acts.

“I want to reassure the American people that the full resources of the federal government are working to assist local authorities to save lives and to help the victims of these attacks,” President Bush said. “Make no mistake: The United States will hunt down and punish those responsible for these cowardly acts.”

He expressed his certainty that the country would persevere.

“The resolve of our great nation is being tested,” the President said. “But make no mistake: We will show the world we will pass this test.”

The national government also responded to the incident offering condolences, support and words of hope and coping themselves with the tragedy.

“Now is the time for us to come together as a nation to offer our support, our prayers for the victims and for their families,” Attorney General John Ashcroft said. “For the rescue workers, for the law enforcement officials, for every one of us that has been changed forever by this horrible tragedy.”