Everybody who wears a uniform: get ready

President George W. Bush has spent much of his time this weekend reassuring Americans and vowing to bring terrorists involved in the attacks on the Pentagon and the World Trade Center to justice.

The President explained in an address to the American people from Camp David in Thurmont, Maryland that the government would not allow terrorist acts to go unpunished in the United States.

“They will try to hide, they will try to avoid the United States and our allies – but we’re not going to let them. They run to the hills; they find holes to get in. And we will do whatever it takes to smoke them out and get them running, and we’re going to get them no matter what it takes,” Bush said. “Listen, this is a great nation and we are kind people. None of us could have envisioned the barbaric acts of these terrorists. But they have stirred up the might of the American people, and we’re going to get them no matter what it takes.”

Attorney General John Ashcroft also made similar comments, pledging his support for the President and explaining that the government along with the FBI has made every attempt to find out as much information about the incident and those involved as possible.

“The FBI, along with very cooperative local and state officials and law enforcement agencies has processed thousands of leads,” Ashcroft explained. “We are making the kinds of contacts and developing the information that allow us to describe this as proceeding with reasonable success. We believe that the picture is developing the kind of clarity that is appropriate.”

White House officials also made comments about the losses of the allies of the United States and how this tragedy affected people from other countries.

“We should take note, it’s not just Americans who lost lives in the World Trade Center-dozens of countries lost lives and they realize that this was an attack against them as well,” Secretary of State Colin Powell explained. “We are receiving expressions of support from around the world- and not just rhetorical support, but real support for whatever may lay ahead in this campaign that is ahead of us to win the war that the President has spoken about.”

The President previously explained that he felt that these attacks were a declaration of war against the United States and that this would be a long and difficult trial for the country. He solidified his statements to the American people even further by informing the military that they should be ready for war. He explained that there were talks of mobilizing the Reserve and Guard troops and that the government was in the process of call up as many as 35,000 such troops to maintain air defenses and perform roles as military police officers.

“The message is for everybody who wears a uniform: get ready. The United States will do whatever it takes to win this war. And I ask patience of the American people,” the President said. “There is no question in my mind we’ll have the resolve-I’ve witnessed it yesterday on the construction site. Behind the sadness and the exhaustion, there is a desire by the American people, not to seek only revenge but to win a war against barbaric behavior.”

The President also spread a message of peace to Americans asking for tolerance for Muslims across the country. He explained that although many people may be angry about the events that took place on Tuesday that channeling it into anger towards fellow Americans was detrimental.

“America counts millions of Muslims amongst our citizens, and they need to be treated with respect,” the President said. “Women who cover their heads in this country must be comfortable going outside their homes. Moms who wear cover must not be intimidated in America. That’s not the America I know. That’s not the America I value.”