Minutemen look to declaw Pride

Despite being two of the fastest guys in the lineup, they were both last to finish sprints Wednesday night in practice. Still, no one really took notice.

As their teammates darted by, howling beneath the lights of Richard F. Garber Field, Jeremy Robinson and Anton McKenzie just kept to a leisurely jog – side by side -from midfield to the end line, and back.

The two defensive backs weren’t concerned with joining the end-of-practice scurry. Their tunnel vision didn’t allow it. As far as the Massachusetts football team’s secondary was concerned, Saturday’s game at Hofstra had already begun.

“They’ve got two wide receivers that are outstanding,” said Head Coach Mark Whipple, referring to Pride flankers Kahmal Roy and Charlie Adams. “Both guys will play in the NFL. They’re the two best receivers in the league and they’re on the same team.”

After starting the season with three consecutive losses, UMass (0-3, 0-1 Atlantic 10) must travel to Hempstead, N.Y. Saturday to face The Pride (2-1, 2-1 A-10) in what surely could be the Minutemen’s toughest defensive match-up of the year.

In three games Roy has caught eight touchdowns and totaled 432 yards. To that, Adams has added two scores and 272 yards. Both headline quite possibly the fastest offensive team in Division I-AA football.

Minutemen cornerbacks Eddie Bowman and Nate Long will be called on to man the dodgy duo, with help ready from Robinson in the deep man zone and McKenzie on underneath routes.

In last weekend’s 35-7 loss to Delaware, Robinson had two interceptions and McKenzie added a pick of his own. But stepping in front of the Hofstra playmakers will be a step up in degree of challenge.

“The scary thing about these guys is that you can have good coverage, you can be draped all over them, but Roy is going to go get it and Adams is going to go get the ball,” Whipple said. “You just have to mix your coverage and get a couple hits on them.”

Tossing the football for the Pride will be Rocky Butler. Butler completed 11-of-20 passes for 215 yards and four touchdowns and added 122 rushing yards and a score in Hofstra’s defeat of Maine last Saturday, 51-44. The senior leads the A-10 in passing yards (902) and passing touchdowns (10).

The Pride is averaging 40.7 points per game and just over 459 total offensive yards this season. UMass lands nowhere near those marks, averaging just 12.3 points and 260.7 total yards per contest. The Minutemen have been outscored 115-37 so far this season.

“We’re going to have to get at least 30 [points] to win the football game,” Whipple said. “I think we’re certainly capable of doing that, and that’s what we plan on doing.”

“It’s going to come down to the team that takes care of the football and make plays. And they’ve made a lot more plays than we have this year.”

Redshirt freshman Matt Guice remains as UMass’ key component to the execution of the Maroon and White offense. In UMass’ two division games, Guice has looked shaky at best, and has failed to make good decisions in the pocket. Last week in Delaware, he was unsuccessful in stringing together a complete drive, as the UMass offense failed to tally a single point. Guice went 20-of-33 for 182 yards in that game, but threw two interceptions and lost three fumbles.

But Whipple remains confident that Guice will make some significant progress in the coming weeks.

“He’s got the character and ability of a Todd Bankhead,” said Whipple, comparing his youngster to the quarterback of his 1998 National Championship team. “And it’ll come out. I’ve worked with him enough that good things will happen before this year is out.”

DeShon Hardy, Guice’s favorite target last week, caught ten passes against The Pride defense for 135 yards. The junior is averaging just over five catches and 80 yards per contest and will need to continue his ways in order for UMass to have any shot at tainting The Pride.