Television world stalls in the wake of recent disaster; mourns the talent lost

After the tragic events of Tuesday, it will likely be sometime before things are business as usual in the U.S. The same goes for the television industry that has had, and will continue to have, its schedule altered due to the recent terrorist attacks.

Most Americans were glued to their television sets throughout Tuesday and into Wednesday with the constant barrage of news updates taking over the airwaves. All of the major networks and cable channels preempted their regular programming on Tuesday to provide commercial free coverage of the unfolding events. Even cable channels without their own news staff managed to carry live coverage on their channels due to tie-ins with broadcast networks. Because of this, the nation actually got to see the unlikely face of Dan Rather rather than Carson Daly on MTV (and BET for that matter), which are both owned by CBS parent company Viacom.

So which shows will be affected by the events of Tuesday? Here’s a partial list:

The Emmy Awards, originally scheduled for this Sunday have been postponed with no make up date announced.

CBS cancelled the Latin Grammy Awards, and preempted Big Brother 2 on Tuesday, although Thursday night’s finale was still on as of press time.

NFL games scheduled for this weekend have a strong possibility of being cancelled.

The WWF cancelled the tapings (usually held on Tuesday) for their Thursday Night UPN show “WWF Smackdown!” in Houston, Texas. Most likely the show will air live instead of on tape in its normal time slot.

Although there has been no comment yet from the Fox Network, the October 30th premiere of their new show “24” could also be in jeopardy. The series premiere features a terrorist bombing of a commercial airplane. Due to the unique format of the show in which each of the 24 episodes represent 24 hours of the one day that a bombing takes place, the entire series may have to be scrapped, or at least put on hold, since the show’s storyline centers so heavily around an act of terrorism.

This wouldn’t be the first time a television show was put on hold due to it being in questionable taste to air in light of current events. An episode of “Buffy The Vampire Slayer” featuring a school shooting was yanked in light of the 1999 Columbine High School shootings. The previous attack on The World Trade Center in 1995 led to an episode of “Melrose Place” that depicted a bombing being pulled from the schedule as well. When and if at all it is appropriate to air television that so closely resembles a real life tragedy will always be a hotly contested topic, and rightfully so.

Beyond the miniscule effects of a few television shows not airing in their usual timeslots, a few members of the television community tragically were victims of Tuesday’s terrorist attacks.

David Angell, the Emmy award winning Executive producer of the NBC program “Frasier” was among the passengers on one of the hijacked planes that departed from Boston. He was travelling with his family back to California after a vacation on Cape Cod. Previous to his work on “Frasier,” Angell had received an Emmy Award for his work as a writer for “Cheers.” In between his work on “Cheers” and “Frasier,” Angell served as the Executive producer for another NBC hit show, “Wings.”

CNN Commentator Barbara Olsen was a passenger on American Airlines Flight 77, which crashed into the Pentagon. Olsen had originally been scheduled to fly on Monday, but postponed her flight until Tuesday, to spend the day with her husband on his birthday. Olsen gained notoriety as a former federal prosecutor who served on the Chief Investigative Counsel to the House Committee during its investigation into President Clinton’s “Travelgate” scandal. She had been appearing as a conservative political commentator on CNN for several months.

Kurt Polesky is a Collegian Staff Member. Information from zap2it.com was used in this article.