Electrical fire in Bartlett Hall causes minor damage

A small electrical fire broke loose in an underground passageway leading between Bartlett Hall and Herter Hall early yesterday morning.

The fire began in a ventilation shaft beneath Bartlett Hall around

9 a.m. as a result of an overheated motor, explained Director of the UMass News Office Barbara Pitoniak.

The Amherst Fire Department, University of Massachusetts Police Department and the UMass Environmental Health and Safety Department all responded to the scene of the fire. At that time, the Amherst Fire Department was able extinguish the fire within a matter of minutes.

Pitoniak explained that a heavy, smoky odor filled the hallways of Bartlett and Herter Hall, which was noticed by students and staff, that resulted in the calling of the Amherst Fire Department.

The fire led to the evacuation of nearly 300 students and faculty from Bartlett Hall and other areas of Herter Hall, causing a brief and minor scare to University personnel.

Students and faculty were evacuated from Bartlett Hall and areas of Herter Hall and were able to exit the buildings safely without any injuries.

Medical Assistance accompanied the Amherst Fire Department to the scene and was on hand for anyone who may have needed assistance at the time of the fire.

Students and faculty were able to resume classes and work in Herter Hall fairly quickly after the fire was extinguished, Pitoniak said.

However, Bartlett Hall’s power was shut off and the building was closed. All classes were cancelled until the building was reopened to all student and faculty early yesterday afternoon.

Pitoniak confirmed that the building only suffered a few minor damages that would need to be replaced by the University.

The motor and ventilation shaft are among the two major damages, as well as a few tiles along the building ceiling that suffered minor damages stated Pitoniak.

She further explained that she felt confident that the University would be repairing all the areas in Bartlett Hall affected by the fire within the near future.

The Amherst Fire Department, UMass Police Department and the University Environmental and Health Safety Department were unavailable for comment at the time of press release.