Llovet’s return inspires victory

After destroying LaSalle over the weekend with an explosive attack, the Massachusetts volleyball team was looking to enact its wrath against another opponent. Unfortunately for Providence, its name was next on the Maroon and White’s schedule.

The Minutewomen made quick work of the visiting Friars, 3-0, as they continued the dominance they showed on Saturday against the Explorers. UMass (11-9 overall, 4-6 A-10) finished the evening with a .375 hitting percentage while holding Providence to an anemic .190 percentage, and the home team helped its cause by committing only 10 errors on the evening. Moreover, the Minutewomen enjoyed the return of senior outside hitter Lymarie Llovet, back after missing the last three matches with a severe ankle sprain.

“Our hitting was fine tonight,” Head Coach Bonnie Kenny said. “We passed poorly, but were able to get kills.”

The Minutewomen have had struggles with their attack in the opening games of recent matches, but these problems have seemed to vanish after Tuesday. After allowing Providence to jump out to an early 8-2 lead, the Maroon and White wiped away the deficit quickly, as Clare Baxter and Nitia Small combined on a block to make the Friar lead a mere one point at 9-8.

Later in the game, with the visitors leading 15-14, UMass rallied off five straight points, highlighted by kills from Baxter and senior Janeen DeMarte, staking it a four-point advantage at 19-15. Providence could never rally off more than two straight points for the rest of the game, and a Maroon and White victory in game one was punctuated by a Baxter kill as UMass took the opener, 30-23.

Game two was a seesaw battle between the two squads, as UMass jumped out 6-2 as Lauren Vander Veen terminated three kills to the Curry Hicks floor early. Later in the match, with the score tied up at 16, the Friar attack caught fire, as it received four kills and a service ace to take charge, 21-16. However, UMass fought back, receiving a Small kill to cut the deficit to 22-20, and then with the score tied at 26, two aces from Amy Chan and a Vander Veen kill gave the home team a 30-27 victory and a 2-0 lead going into the break.

One of the strengths of this year’s squad is coming out of the locker room strongly, and at no time was this trait more evident than Tuesday night. Not only were the visitors “fried” in the third game, but they were also baked, fricasseed, julienned, and flamb