Sexual assaults result in three arrests; suspects held on bail

Two individuals reported being sexually assaulted on the University of Massachusetts Amherst campus on Friday, Oct. 12.

At approximately 10:48 p.m. that night, officers from the Amherst Police Department were approached by two females who were allegedly assaulted by three men just minutes earlier. The females are not UMass students.

The incident took place in the “maze” near the McGuirk Alumni Stadium. Because the incident occurred on campus, the UMass Police Department was notified and assumed jurisdiction over the case.

An officer on patrol pulled over a vehicle at 1:30 a.m. driving along Route 9 that matched the description of the motor vehicle involved during the alleged assaults.

Police arrested 19-year-old Luis G. Sumba of Northampton, Mass. on the charges of rape of a child with force, and 20-year-old Luis E. Sumba of Northampton for attempted rape, and indecent assault and battery on a person 14 years of age or older. Edgar Guzman, 22, of Amherst was arrested for attempted rape, indecent assault and battery on a person 14 years of age or older. Because the three suspects were unable to make bail, they were held for arraignment in Northampton District Court this past Monday.

According to the University police, none of the suspects or victims had any affiliation to UMass as employees or students.

Massachusetts General Law states that if convicted of raping a child, a person can be sentenced for any number of years.

“Whoever has sexual intercourse or unnatural sexual intercourse with a child under sixteen, and compels said child to submit by force and against his will or compels said child to submit by threat of bodily injury shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for life or for any term of years,” M.G.L. Chapter 225, Section 22A states.

The UMPD was busy with other arrests that weekend as well, when they apprehended two students in lot 21. Michael D. Quetti, 20, of Pittsfield, Mass. was arrested for possession of alcohol by someone under the age of 21 along with Michael Cunniff, 19, also of Pittsfield.

On Saturday, during a routine traffic stop on Commonwealth Ave. the police arrested 21-year-old Suk Moon and charged Moon with operating a motor vehicle with a suspended license.

That same night, at approximately 8:00 p.m. 18-year-old Michael Sandler of Randolf, Mass. was arrested for possession of alcohol by a person under the age of 21. He was spotted by police in lot 22.

Following the report of a disturbance in lot 32E, the police arrested 21-year-old Darren Labbe of Salem for assault and battery with a dangerous weapon. Another report of assault and battery came in at 1:45 a.m. near the Campus Pond.

That incident is still under investigation by the police.

Assault and battery was a common crime this week as police arrested 20-year-old Shawn Rodriguez of Springfield, Mass. for disorderly conduct and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon on Monday. Arrested with him in Coolidge Dormitory at approximately 7:30 p.m. was 19-year-old Moses Williams III, charged with disorderly conduct, assault and battery and possession of a class D substance, and Jimmy Gonzalez, 20, of Springfield for assault and battery and disorderly conduct.