SGA’s first meeting polite, productive

The Student Government Association expected a light first meeting last night, but were surprised when debate was called on the decision to appoint Attorney General Mike Marin to the Student Legal Services Office Governing Board.

In response to SGA President John Sheehan’s decision to appoint Marin to the post, Commuter Area Governor Rob Moore called for debate questioning Marin’s ability to perform the task at hand. Moore brought up an issue regarding the SGA’s spring funding account, in which he called Marin into question over missing funds.

“I requested for our budget of $750 last spring, and the transaction was signed by Marin [Marin was formally the Executive Secretary of Finance], yet we never received the money,” Moore said. “If you can’t handle the power that you have, why give you more?”

Executive Cabinet Secretary of Finance Gabriel Tavarez responded on behalf of Marin, explaining that it was not Marin’s job to sign any paperwork regarding budget allocations.

“The truth of the matter is that it’s not the Secretary of Finance’s job [to allocate this money],” Tavarez said. “I’ve looked through all the paperwork and there is not any paperwork or signatures regarding this allocation of funds. To question whether or not he did his [Marin’s] job is wrong. It’s Rob’s job to see that Rob gets his money, and that’s the same for any of the other area governments.”

Ultimately, a voice vote approved Marin’s appointment with a sizeable majority. Tavarez and Senate Speaker Aaron Saunders were also approved to serve on the Board.

In other happenings at the meeting, members of the SGA Executive Cabinet expressed their congratulations to the newly elected Senate.

SGA President John Sheehan explained to the Senate that this is their chance to make a difference for the student body.

“A lot of you guys are new to this job, and so am I. I was elected last spring, and it’s been a big learning curve for me,” Sheehan said. “I could give my legislative agenda for the year, but I won’t because this isn’t my Senate. I’m not the leader of the Senate, Aaron [Saunders] is. And I’m looking forward to a great year and putting the past behind us.”

Senate members had the opportunity to ask questions, many of which focused on the issue of voter turnout and making students’ voice and vote take effect on campus.

“We’re going to do all in our power to get more voter turnout in upcoming elections so that things such as referendum questions will hold more weight when presented to the Administration,” Sheehan said.

Saunders spoke to the Senate on a variety of issues which he hopes to get resolved this year, including working with Parking Services on the cost of parking passes and the conditions of lots, overenrollment in residence halls, on-campus cameras and violations of confidentiality by off-campus landlords.

Saunders also approached the Senate with a suggested dress code, explaining that dressing appropriately shows pride in oneself and the SGA as an organization.

“We need to give students a reason to come out to the polls on Election Day and we need to take pride in this organization to accomplish this,” Saunders said. “People need to respect one another not only by dressing appropriately, but in how we address each other and speak in Senate.”

Committees and Committee Chairs were also appointed at last night’s meeting. The newly elected Chairs are: Administrative Affairs, Matt Pelnar; Diversity Chair, Scot Turnberg; Chair of Finance, Steve Hoeschele; Public Policy and Relations, Michael Whitehouse; University Policy, Courtney Horrocks; and Ways of Means, Michael Taugher.

As the Senate meeting came to a close, Saunders and Sheehan both expressed optimism towards the upcoming year and commended the Senate for its initial conduct.

“I was surprised that debate was called, but one thing I will say is that everyone kept it above the belt and showed respect towards one another,” Sheehan said. “It seems that everyone is generally respectful and I think were going to see a great Senate this year.”