SGA’s new members try to orient selves

The newly elected Student Government Association’s Senators met this Monday and Tuesday for an SGA orientation in preparation for this evening’s first Senate meeting.

Senate Speaker Aaron Saunders and Associate Speaker Bill Powers led Senators through the rules and procedures of the Senate. Senators were then given the chance to express any concerns as well as ask questions prior to tonight’s meeting.

Saunders and Powers both expressed the need for student involvement within the Senate in order to make positive changes at the University of Massachusetts.

“You’re here to represent the student body and lead them, and you need to be able to vote and understand what’s going on for your constituents,” Powers said.

Saunders continued by stressing the need for positive Senator and Administrative relationships. Issues between the Administration and the Senate have been a problem over the previous years; however, Saunders explained that it goes both ways.

“After tonight’s Senate meeting we’re going to be setting up meetings with the Administration so the Senators can get a chance to discuss issues with them, as well as the Administration can bring issues to the Senators,” Saunders said.

Aside from Saunders and Powers, the members of the Senate expressed how they plan to make changes within the Senate as well as the student body.

Saunders explained his main goal was tackling parking issues whereas other members expressed the need for changes in areas such as safety on campus, crosswalks and the overall view of the SGA.

“I have a few personal issues that I would like to work out with the Senate,” Commuter Senator Robert Chirwa said. “I know of a few crosswalks off-campus that people fear crossing, and as pedestrians we have the right of way, and this is not right.”

Other members continued by expressing that they are looking to bring forth a new outlook for the Senate and campus.

“I hope to bring some fresh new ideas to the Senate that they haven’t seen before,” Southwest at-large Senator Blake Kleppe said. “I haven’t seen how it’s been run in the past, but I’m hopeful that we’ll have a great year. I believe our leadership is working to the best of their abilities to move on.”

As the Senate orientation came to a close, members of the SGA expressed their enthusiasm for the first meeting of the Senate.

“I think that the orientation was good and gave everyone a glimpse at what the Senate is like,” Chirwa said. “But the best experience is the Senate meetings when everyone comes together.”

The SGA Senate meeting will come together tonight at the top of the Campus Center at 7:15 p.m.