Campus community crazed with crime

The Southwest residence area erupted in riots Sunday night after the Arizona Diamondbacks beat the New York Yankees in the World Series. The resulting property damage ended an all-around busy weekend for University Police.

The University of Massachusetts Police Department received a call at approximately 11:10 p.m. during the last game, Jim Lyons spokesman for the UMPD explained. Officers responded to the call that a group was gathering in front of the Southwest Mall.

Twenty minutes later, when additional officers had arrived at the scene, the number had escalated to approximately 700.

“People just kept gathering,” Lyons said. “So we kept sending officers to the scene.”

The crowd began to become violent, Lyons explained, burning furniture as means of a bonfire, throwing items out of windows and refusing to go back inside.

“It was quite a mob scene,” he said. “People were lighting furniture on fire and the officers were putting it out, only to have it be lit on fire again.”

As a result of the incident two arrests were made. Eric Tinker, 18, of Medford, was arrested outside of Crampton Dormitory at approximately 12:10 p.m. for assault and battery on a police officer, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. Anthony Volpe, 19, of Amherst, was also arrested for disorderly conduct.

“The riots occurred as a result of the World Series,” Lyons said. “Apparently a lot of people were watching.”

An incident of burglary also occurred over the weekend on early Saturday morning in the Southwest Mall at approximately 2:14 a.m. The police received a call of a disturbance involving a number of people in a fight.

When the police arrived they discovered stolen pizzas and were told that a Domino’s pizza delivery person had been robbed. The delivery driver was contacted and 17-year-old Michael Sharpe of Medford was identified and arrested for both assault and battery, unarmed robbery and larceny of over $250. His companion Daniel Rogier, 18, also of Medford was arrested for disorderly conduct.

There were a string of incidents of automobile vandalism and burglary that occurred in lot 11, north of Alumni Stadium on Friday. The first incident of vandalism occurred at 10:30 a.m. when the side view mirrors were broken off of a parked vehicle. Following that, a car was burglarized in the same lot at 1:51 p.m. when a lock was popped and several items were stolen from a vehicle. Four minutes later, a Kenwood CD player, speakers, subwoofers and tools were taken from a car in the lot. The door handle to the vehicle was damaged causing over $800 worth of harm.

The next in the string of incidents occurred at 2:00 p.m. when the driver’s door to a vehicle was smashed and a CD player, equalizer and speakers were taken from the car. At 2:25 p.m. the side view mirrors were broken off of a vehicle in the lot.

There was an attempted breaking and entering at 2:50 p.m. when a lock was popped in a vehicle in lot 11. Nothing was stolen but there was damage done to the stereo in the automobile. At 3:08 p.m. the lock on the driver’s side door was popped and a stereo, wave board and gym bag were stolen.

Two more incidents of vandalism and another burglary were reported within the same day. The two incidents occurred around 6:00 p.m. with one vehicle broken into and the side door destroyed and the other had its side mirror smashed and windshield cracked. The final burglary occurred at approximately 8:45 p.m. and caused damage to a parked vehicle’s ignition, damaged the driver’s side door, and posters, pictures and CD burners were taken.

It is still unknown as to whether or not these incidents are connected.