Police arrest two for drugs in Durfee

Numerous arrests occupied the time of the University of Massachusetts Police Department last week as well as incidents of violence during the weekend.

The first liquor law violation arrest occurred on last Thursday, Jim Lyons spokesman for the UMPD explained. Michael Nichols, 19, was arrested outside of Washington Dormitory for the possession of liquor by someone who is under the age of 21.

The police received a call stating that two individuals were seen entering an area near Durfee Conservatory on last Friday. When police arrived they spotted both individuals with what they believed to be marijuana. They arrested 19-year-old Zachary Brefeld, of Edwardsville, Illinois for possession and intent to distribute a class D substance, and Christopher Donah, 17, of Holyoke for possession of a class C substance.

“One individual had what looked to be a burning marijuana cigarette,” Lyons explained. “He was arrested for possession of a class D substance.”

Also that weekend maintenance men for Van Meter dormitory reported that they spotted a semi-conscious male on the stairs with what appeared to be a pistol.

Lyons explained that police made attempts to rouse him before coming to the conclusion that he was intoxicated and could not care for himself. He was taken into protective custody and it was discovered that the pistol was a BB gun.

There was a call from a woman in Lincoln Apartments requesting police assistance in getting an individual out of her home on Friday. The woman explained to police that there was a man in her apartment that refused to leave due to a dispute over money, Lyons said. Police arrived and escorted the individual to a bus station in Amherst center.

The police arrived at North Village Apartments on Wednesday at approximately 9:00 a.m. to respond to a call relating to a domestic disturbance. Police escorted one individual to the Amherst Shelter for counseling.

An arrest in an incident of a similar nature was made on Saturday when 26-year-old David Heers from Kentucky was arrested for violating an abuse prevention order. He was arrested in North Village Apartments that night at 9:50 a.m.

Police also are trying to apprehend the individual or individuals responsible for the increasing number of break-ins in lot 11. An additional incident occurred this past week when 80 CDs were stolen from an unlocked car parked in the lot.

The UMPD investigated three individuals in lot 11 on Thursday night that were deemed as suspicious. The police took down their information and the individuals were released.

Lyons explained that the police were continuing to investigate the break-ins and are still examining the possibility that the incidents may be connected.

“When incidents like that occur they are always looking for way to connect these types of things together,” Lyons said.