The Emmy’s must go on: Emeril, however, won’t

In this week’s installment of “Tube Notes” we take a look at some hot newz (that’s the way the cool people spell the word) in the world of television. Some of it is fairly insider, and some of it is not. You’ll have to figure out which is which.

–After originally being slated to air almost two months ago, The Emmy’s are finally set to air this Sunday at 8 p.m. on CBS, and will be hosted by Ellen DeGeneres. The commercials that have been airing seem to make out the Emmy’s to be the biggest event of the year, and a show that “must go on” in the wake of the terrorist attacks. Please, it would be no loss if this entire show was simply cancelled. All these celebrities need to get over themselves. Like the majority of Americans really care if “ER” wins another Emmy or not.

–Speaking of shows that should be up for an Emmy, the “reality” program Blind Date recently taped its 500th episode. The landmark episode will air sometime in December. Of course, since there are now 500 episodes, the show has more than enough to live through syndication for years to come, so we will never be dateless again. Thank God.

— In a move that is sure to disappoint the show’s half dozen fans,

NBC has pulled Emeril from the schedule, at least through November sweeps.

–CBS says that the next season of “Survivor” will take place on the French Polynesian island of Nuku Hiva, a small (127 square miles), volcanic island north east of the Tahitian Island chain. The show will debut after next year’s Winter Olympics.

–If you thought Christina Aguilera looked trashy before, wait until you see the videos for her upcoming CD. Christina told MTV Asia she’s planning an even raunchier look but will draw the line “at stripping.”

“If you find me sexy now,” she said, “you’ll be surprised. I am still evolving quickly towards something more womanly. To be honest, I’d really like to go too far.” However, she adds “I find that small tops, you know, that show off the belly, are much sexier than a bare body. I feel I can flirt with the limits for years to come.” Nice.

–After sufficiently monopolizing the computer industry, Bill Gates turns his attention to acting of all things as he appears on the November 13th edition of “Frasier.” Gates will play himself on the show. Hey, if Lance Bass can “act” why shouldn’t Gates be able to?

–In the most ridiculous item of the week, psychic John Edwards, the host of the syndicated hit show “Crossing Over,” was scheduled to spend an entire program next month attempting to contact the spirits of the terror attacks on September 11th. However, when advertisers grew weary, the idea was pulled. I wonder why?

–If you thought one TRL wasn’t enough, how about another one. MTV sister station VH1 has tentative plans to air a live, 30 minute, 4 day a week music-themed program, complete with videos, guests and live performances. The show, which is rumored to be called “Live From Hollywood,” will likely be intended for an older crowd than Carson’s daycare center in Times Square is.

–Meanwhile, next door at MTV, things aren’t looking too rosey. The cable network announced last week that it is planning on laying of 9% of its workforce, ranging from Senior Vice Presidents to “assistants.” The layoffs are the largest in the 20 year history of MTV, and are a result of the “new economic” times in the U.S.

–After originally preempting the episode, tonight CBS will air the debut episode of “The Agency.” The episode deals directly with terrorism, which is the reason the show didn’t air as scheduled in September. The advertising for the program has been completely tasteless on the part of CBS, to the point where they are undoubtedly cashing in on America’s fear of terrorism. Apparently one month ago, it was inappropriate to air this episode, but now it is fair game. Doesn’t seem to make much sense. But when the almighty dollar is all a company cares about, it does make some sense. -Information from zap2it.com and allaccess.com was used in this article.