New class offered

Getting into Exercise Science classes will be made much easier this coming semester with the addition of a new course to the department’s slate.

Exercise Science 197A, Physical Activity, Health ‘ Fitness is a new course that will be offered by the department this coming spring and will be taught by Professor Pricilla Clarkson.

According to Clarkson’s description of the course, it will allow students away from home for the first time to develop a healthy way of living.

“Adopting a healthy lifestyle during the first years away at college is a difficult task for many students,” the description states. “Yet, getting enough exercise is important in maintaining your health and reducing stress, which will make you feel and do better.”

This class is intended to give students the necessary information in order for them to go on to lead a healthy and active lifestyle.

Lectures and laboratory exercises will enable students to progress from a basic understanding of physical activity to create an individualized program designed to meet personal goals and healthy living pursuits.

The course will be held on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:30-3:45. The Tuesday class will be held in a traditional lecture format, focusing on topics such as healthy eating, creating a reasonable exercise program, different ways to deal with stress and intervention for an overall healthy lifestyle.

Thursday classes will be more interactive and will allow students to design their own exercise programs and resistance levels, and to learn techniques for body composition assessment. Other things on the list for possible class activities include physical activity readiness, target heart rate zone training, blood pressure assessment and how to improve health and fitness. The class will include two exams, a goal achievement project and a journal.

The description explains that the class was intended for students who wanted to improve their lifestyle and become healthier.

“Many students, especially freshman, find it difficult to maintain a healthy lifestyle while away at college. From improper food choices to frequent social events involving alcohol and drugs, optimal health become a thing of the past,” the description states. “While the intentions of this course are not to abolish any and all unhealthy practices, it should help to improve the lifestyle of students now and for the future.”

This course is three credits and open to all students.