Daycare takes a hit

The University of Massachusetts will close its five full day care classrooms due to budget concerns on May 25, 2002. Two flexible-schedule classrooms will continue to operate until May 2004. The flexible care classrooms remain open because they are mandated in the Graduate Employee Organization (GEO) contract.

The announcement was made to University Child Care (UCC) staff members at an after-hours meeting on Jan. 17 with program director Maryanne Gallagher, director of Housing Services Michael Gilbert, and Vice-Chancellor for Student Affairs Javier Cevallos. The twenty-two employees were told that the classrooms would be closed and that they would be laid off. Gallagher and Clerk III Penelope Gagnon will retain their positions.

The closing notice came as a shock to employees.

“I had to walk out [of the meeting] and get some fresh air,” Andrew Coler, an employee at UCC for 18 years, said. “I think what was done was wrong. I’m not so concerned with keeping my job as to doing what is morally right.”

“It’s very surprising,” teacher Karin McDonald said. “It seems very unfair.”

Josh Mason, the GEO Secretary of the Treasury heard about the meeting and rushed to Clubhouse Drive classrooms.

“The three of them [Cevallos, Gilbert and Gallagher] did all the talking,” Mason said. “People were very upset. Several people left in tears. People were stunned.”

Parents were informed on Jan. 18 when they dropped off their children. A letter explained the decisions to the parents.

“[The closing] is necessary because projected fiscal resources for Fiscal Year 2003 are not sufficient to continue this program,” the letter read.

Wilhelmina Humphries, a sophomore and mother of four, thought the move was more than just surprising.

“I thought it was sneaky,” Humphries said. “It’s one more stone put on me — one more tug to put graduating further down the line.”

Exercise Science Professor Barry Braun’s five year old son attends the center was shocked by the letter.

“I was really surprised, It’s not that there isn’t enough pain to spread around,” Braun said. Likening the decision to a nature documentary, he continued, “it seems like the leopard is picking out the weak and infirm. This is a disproportionate hit to student families.”

UCC is one of the best in the country, staff and parents say. One parent said she signed her child up when she discovered she was pregnant. The program is a deciding factor for some faculty.

“When it comes to faculty hiring, people are going to want to know that there is some place their kids can go,” Braun said.

A lack of child care in the area and specifically toddler care in the area means that many of these parents will have no place to leave their children while they work or learn at the University, Jennifer Martin, the GEO Family Issue Coordinator explained.

“The need far outweighs the resources,” Martin said. “They [the parents] can’t afford it.”

Carolyn Herzig, a graduate student in molecular and cellular biology, is glad that her daughter will be attending kindergarten next year, but is outraged by the decision.

“This should never have happened,” Herzig. “I do understand [the budget issues] but to start at child care is outrageous.”

One hundred and seven children attended UCC last semester. Seventy-three of those were enrolled in the full day program. Thirty-four are the children of University employees, 13 are graduate students’ children and 19 are the children of undergraduates. One child’s parent is a member of the Five-College system.

Twenty-five spaces are available in the flexible-care classrooms. The waiting lists for the program is over one hundred names long. Director Gallagher had expected an increase in the numbers for this semester.

Parents were told to inquire at other daycare centers.

“But every center has a waiting list,” Humphries said.

Professor Braun questioned the wisdom of the decision. In the long run, the lack of child care will do more to hurt the University than help it, Braun said.

“How can you have a major state university without childcare?” he asked.

Several childcare programs started at the University in 1971, and were supervised by the School of Education. In the 1980’s University Child Care was formed, caring for 78 children. In the 1990’s UCC was recognized as a model program, and accredited by the National Academy of Early Childhood Programs. The flexible schedule classrooms opened in 1999. UCC is funded from several sources. The campus contributes $627,595, and there is a $613,199 trust fund for the program.