Police deal with vandalism

The University of Massachusetts Police Department dealt with a myriad of issues this week ranging from a number of incidents of vandalism to vehicles to burglaries and arrests.

Police arrested 20-year-old David McCann of Sandwich when they arrived to his Patterson Dormitory room at approximately 10:45 p.m. on Wednesday night to find him playing a loud stereo with ten other people in the room. He was arrested on charges of disturbing the peace, possession of liquor by someone that is under the age of 21 and possession of a class D substance.

The police also received a call on the same day from Cooley Dickinson hospital at 3:45 p.m. informing them that an individual had been stabbed on campus in Coolidge Dormitory. The area check was clear and police took down written statements.

A liquor law violation in Kennedy Dormitory came to the attention of the police when there was a report of a round robin on the 9th floor involving 100 to 150 people. The resident assistant in charge told police that she tried to approach the group to disperse them but that she had no positive results. Subjects fled the building when they heard that the police were notified and Emergency Housing fixed the broken doors on both sides of the building.

A series of vandalisms occurred on Saturday in parking lot 44 north of the Sylvan Dormitories when police found that four vehicles parked in the lot had extensive damage done to them.

The first car was found with a smashed passenger’s side rear vent window and a missing stereo, the second with a smashed rear window, the third with a smashed passenger’s front window and a tampered with stereo and in the final car the stereo was stolen and the back door was damaged.

The officer on the scene checked the rest of the parking lot and found there to be no other damaged vehicles and lot 27 nearby was also checked and there were no damaged vehicles found.

A similar incident occurred in lot 22 west of University Drive on Sunday at 12:52 p.m. when officers reported that a vehicle was discovered with a smashed front window and a missing stereo. The owner of the vehicle was notified of the damage.

One minute later, police received an unrelated call regarding a car with a smashed window in lot 52 in Southwest Circle. Police verified the damage, which was suspected to have occurred the night before, and placed a no-tow sign upon the vehicle.

Police received a call on Wednesday night reporting a burglary in lot 11 north of Alumni Stadium at approximately 1:30 p.m. The officer on the scene reported that the side door of the vehicle had been tampered with and the radio was missing. Another car also in that lot was discovered with a hole in the windshield that caused it to splinter. Within the same hour police also discovered a vehicle with a broken passenger side window in lot 22.

It is unknown as to whether or not these cases of vandalism and breaking and entering are connected.