Promises of hope and harmony

The Oscar nominated film Promises will be screened this Sunday at Northampton’s Academy of Music Theater. The director, B.Z. Goldberg, will be present to conduct a discussion following the film.

Promises, nominated for best documentary feature, features seven Palestinian and Israeli children between the ages of nine and 13. They live close to each other (within a 20-mile radius of Jerusalem), but lead disparate lives. The film explores the nature of these children’s lives and the cultural differences that cut across them.

The filmmakers, Goldberg, who grew up in Jerusalem, and Justine Shapiro, have featured an age group that are reflections of their culture, but without the self-censorship that comes with age. Promises not only examines the boundaries that make their worlds so different, but they also document some children who have dared to cross these boundaries to meet their neighbors.

The film will be part of a show titled Hope and Promises. It’s the third Sunday in the Northampton Arts Council’s “Four Sunday in February” series and will also feature Sultana. The sextet will kick off the event with their combination of musical talent. The musicians hail from Israel, Palestine and other Middle Eastern countries.

Hope and Promises is this Sun., Feb. 17 at 2 p.m. at the Academy of Music Theater. Tickets are available in Northampton, at the Arts Council office or at the Academy of Music box office. If using credit cards, call 584-9032. For more information, visit the Arts Council website at northamptonartscouncil.org.