Letters to the Editor

In the article “Off to war? Have another Pretzel!” Yousef Munnayer

tries to point out that war against Iraq would make no sense. He asks

if the United States would be willing to allow weapon inspection teams

inspect America’s weapons program. Well, the U.S. isn’t the one who gassed over 40 Kurdish villages killing thousands of men, women, and children. Other villages that were lucky to escape lethal chemicals had all men between the ages of 15-70 rounded up and killed. It is our responsibility to put an end to terrorism, so that the thousands who died in 9-11 did not die in vain.

Saddam’s list of crimes goes on and on. He praised the September

11 bombing and pays 25 thousand dollars per suicide bombing. As Bush said to the UN, Iraqi citizens “have been subjected to arbitrary arrest and imprisonment, summary execution, and torture by beating, burning, electric shock, starvation, mutilation, and rape.”

Mr. Munnayer states that Hussein might just be crazy enough to use chemical weapons. This is all the more reason that he must be stopped. A recent report from the International Institute for Strategic Studies concluded that Iraq could have a nuclear bomb within months if it acquires fissile material, and that Saddam has met with nuclear physicists several times over the past few years.

It is time that we stop Iraq before it gets any more powerful, before more innocent people are tortured, and thus it is time that we topple the regime. By using our powerful Air Force we could destroy strategic targets, minimize casualties, and help make this world a safer one.