Police: firebomber of family was on probation

BALTIMORE (AP) – The man accused of starting a fire that killed an anti-drug crusading mother and her five children was on probation for a car-theft conviction but officers never made contact with him, an official said.

Darrell Brooks, 21, faces arson charges and six counts of first-degree murder in the blaze that engulfed Angela Dawson’s three-story row house in a tough Baltimore neighborhood.

The Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services said Friday that an officer assigned to supervise Brooks, who was placed on probation in April, never tried to reach him even after he failed to make contact.

“No action was taken, no effort made to get him to report,” said Stuart Simms, the department’s secretary. “This is not within acceptable standards.”

Simms said investigation was continuing and “staff will be held accountable.”

Police say Dawson, who neighbors say had fought to clear drug dealers from her block, may have been targeted because of her efforts to rid the neighborhood of crime. They said more arrests were possible.

Court documents released Friday say Brooks had a “drug history” and that he kicked in Dawson’s door Wednesday, poured gasoline on the floor and sparked the blaze.

Brooks shook his head Friday as 29 charges against him were read at a hearing where bail was denied. It wasn’t clear if he had an attorney.

One witness saw Brooks set the fire, another said he admitted to setting the fire and a search of Brooks’ bedroom found a pickle jar containing a liquid that appeared to be gasoline, the court documents said. Tests found the fire was started by gasoline.

The only survivor of the blaze was Dawson’s husband, Carnell Dawson, 59, who was severely burned and fractured his pelvis jumping from an upper floor window to escape.

The house had been firebombed two weeks earlier, again in the middle of the night, but the family had escaped injury then. Police offered to move the Dawsons afterward, but they wanted to stay, police Commissioner Edward Norris said.

Police said investigators questioned Brooks about the first fire, but he wasn’t charged. Stanton said Thursday that investigators were taking another look.

Court records detail problems the Dawson’s had with other neighbors, including a case against one accused of assaulting Angela Dawson and spray-painting a curse on the side of the family’s home.