Weekend Sports in Brief

CLEVELAND (AP) – The Cleveland Indians will make Eric Wedge the youngest manager in the majors, a team source told The Associated Press on Monday.

The 34-year-old Wedge, who managed Cleveland’s Triple-A team in Buffalo the past two seasons, will be introduced at a news conference Tuesday at Jacobs Field, said the source, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

Wedge was chosen over Joel Skinner, the club’s former third-base coach who managed the Indians for 76 games last season after Charlie Manuel was fired.

Wedge will be younger than two of his players: Ellis Burks (38) and Omar Vizquel (35). Pittsburgh’s Lloyd McClendon, who is 43, had been the youngest manager in the majors.

FOOTBALL

IRVING, Texas (AP) – Emmitt Smith had a season-high 109 yards on 24 carries to set the NFL career rushing record with 16,743 yards, passing the late Walter Payton.

He extended his NFL record for rushing touchdowns to 150 in Dallas’ 17-14 loss to Seattle.

IRVING, Texas (AP) – Seattle quarterback Trent Dilfer will miss the rest of the season after tearing his right Achilles’ tendon during the 17-14 win over Dallas. He will have surgery Monday.

Meanwhile, Tampa Bay defensive end Anthony McFarland broke his right wrist in an on-field collision, and Tennessee cornerback Dainon Sidney broke his left forearm.

GOLF

PINE MOUNTAIN, Ga. (AP) – Jonathan Byrd had a 9-under 63 to win the Buick Challenge and become the 17th first-time winner on the PGA Tour this year. He finished at 27-under 261.

David Toms missed an 18-foot birdie putt on the final hole to force a playoff, shot a 65 and ended a shot behind. Phil Mickelson closed with a 63 to finish third at 265.

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) – Tom Watson shot a 5-under 67 and beat Gil Morgan by two strokes to win the Senior Tour Championship, his first victory of the year on the Senior PGA Tour.

Hale Irwin had a 71 and was fourth, seven strokes behind Watson, but he became the first senior golfer to win $3 million in one season.

AUTO RACING

HAMPTON, Ga. (AP) – Kurt Busch outran the competition and the weather, grabbing his second straight Winston Cup victory in the rain-shortened NAPA 500.

The race, scheduled for 325 laps at Atlanta Motor Speedway, ended under a yellow flag on lap 248.

Tony Stewart was fourth, and increased his lead in the championship battle to 146 points over Mark Martin with only three races remaining.

SURFERS PARADISE, Australia (AP) – Rookie Mario Dominguez won the rain-shortened Honda Indy 300, which started with a major crash that sent two drivers to the hospital.

The event was stopped on the 40th lap because of a two-hour time limit. Patrick Carpentier was second.

After the starting line accident, Adrian Fernandez broke two vertebrae, and Tora Takagi had a broken pelvis and bruised hip. Both were released from the hospital.

SOCCER

PASADENA, Calif. (AP) – Aly Wagner and Cindy Parlow scored in the first half, leading the United States to a 3-0 victory over Mexico in the first round of the Women’s Gold Cup.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL

NEW YORK (AP) – Undefeated Notre Dame rose two spots to No. 4 in The Associated Press Top 25 and got its first No. 1 vote since 1997.

The top three teams didn’t change: No. 1 Miami (7-0), No. 2 Oklahoma (7-0) and No. 3 Virginia Tech (8-0).