UMass briefs

Men’s Basketball

The University of Massachusetts men’s basketball team will hold a Maroon and White intrasquad scrimmage in Curry Hicks Cage, Saturday, Nov. 2, at 4 p.m. The Cage, of course, was the longtime on-campus home of the Minutemen from the 1931-32 season until the Mullins Center opened its doors in 1993.

Saturday’s scrimmage, which is free to all fans, will be conducted under game-type conditions, complete with officials.

“This will be a great opportunity for our fans to check out this year’s team,” said UMass coach Steve Lappas. “I’ve heard a lot of good things about the Cage, and I know many people have some great memories of it.

“Because we have so many new players on this year’s team, we are going to treat this scrimmage as if it were a real game so that our players will understand our game-day routine, from shoot-around to warm-up, when the games start for real next week,” he added.

The Minutemen open their 2002-03 season with exhibition games against the NIKE All-Stars (Nov. 7) and the Coaches vs. Cancer All-Stars (Nov. 16) before facing 2002 NCAA runner-up Indiana in the opening round of the 2002 EA Sports Maui Invitational, Nov. 25.

Women’s Soccer/Football

Junior forward Erin Lilly of the women’s soccer team and senior linebacker Corey Potter of the Minuteman football team were named co-Dinn Brothers / UMass Athletes of the Week as announced by the UMass Sports Luncheon Committee Wednesday afternoon. Lilly has also been named the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference’s Player of the Week.

In last Saturday’s 14-7 victory at James Madison, Potter led the team with 14 total tackles to tie his career high. He also recorded three tackles for loss and a sack for eight yards against the Dukes. For the year, Potter now ranks sixth on the team with 52 total tackles, along with eight tackles for loss, three sacks and two interceptions. Over the course of his UMass career, Potter has now recorded 212 total tackles, with eight sacks, 27 tackles for loss, five interceptions and eight pass breakups.

In Friday’s 6-1 win over the Owls, Lilly scored four goals, including the game-winner. She tied the school’s single-game goals record set by Nancy Feldman against Cortland on Oct. 11, 1980. Her eight points in the game also tied Feldman and Carolyn Micheel for the most in a single-game. Micheel had two goals and four assists in a game against Keene State on Sept. 11, 1985.

On Sunday, Lilly assisted on the game-wining goal and scored another as the Minutewomen shut out Saint Joseph’s, 3-0. She now leads the team with 15 points on five goals and five assists.

Lilly was selected as the Atlantic 10 Player of the Week on Monday as well.

– Courtesy Media Relations