Farewell Fred Rogers

Mister Rogers died yesterday. And for anyone who grew up in the last thirty years, a little bit of us died as well.

Throughout his career of public service, Fred Rogers echoed one overriding message: love yourself and love each other. They were strong words from a man so frail. The words seemed so simple, the concept so obvious. Yet, for kids and adults alike, acting out the message is so difficult.

With a unique style of gentle honest and utmost humility, Mr. Rogers taught us all how feeling left out can be sad, how forgiving someone you are angry at can be liberating, and how being thankful for each can be satisfying. Where other children’s shows sugarcoated reality, Mr. Rogers spoke from the heart. His voice was that of sincerity, sympathy, kindness, and understanding. When we had a bad day at school or when our friends had abandoned us, Mr. Rogers was there everyday giving us a reason to celebrate.

In an age when children’s shows relied on high tech graphics, exaggerated cartoons, and loud music, Mr. Rogers needed only a fish tank, a sweater and a train set. His show, like his life and his message, was simple. He blended puppetry and mail with imagination and soft speaking. He taught us that our mind could take us anywhere. He taught us that we could be whomever we wanted to. He believed in our dreams and in us, even if no one else did.

In an age when sex, drugs, and violence permeate television and the movies, Fred Rogers showed care, concern and compassion. Mr. Rogers kept children away from the bad influences around them. He gave hope to the hopeless and direction to the lost.

In an age of commercialism where profits and television ratings mean more than anything else, Fred Rogers never once aired a commercial on his program. Though ratings continued to drop in the 1990s as the show wore on, Mr. Rogers continued his mission. With Fred, there was no hidden agenda, no profit-driven motive, and no avaricious ambition. There was a simple credo of work hard, stay in school, be kind to others, and embrace yourself for who you are.

Despite his gentle nature, Fred Rogers tackled the thorniest of issues, from race, to divorce, from war to death. When parents had no way of explaining to their children the September 11 disaster, Fred Rogers was there. When parents could not possibly tell their children that Grandma had died, Mr. Rogers was there. When parents could not tackle the issue of discrimination, Mr. Rogers was there.

Perhaps the most striking thing of all about Mr. Rogers was his humility. He never asked for celebrity status or Hollywood publicity. He never begged the cameras or the newspapers for a story. He never bragged or took advantage of fame. When everyone was selling out, Mr. Rogers was held strong. He quietly went about his business of teaching children and children-at-heart that they were special.

At the end of each episode, Mr. Rogers promised that he would be back when the day would be new and there was something more to do. We believed Fred Rogers each time he said something. We trusted Mr. Rogers because he was our friend. Maybe we believed him because we needed someone to believe, something to believe in. Maybe we were lonely, or sad, or tired, or angry, or desperate. Maybe we just needed someone to listen, someone to understand.

Fred Rogers may have died, but a piece of him and his message live on in each of us. We are all better off for having been a part of his neighborhood. We’ll miss his sweaters, his slippers, his theme song, his fish, and his glasses. Most of all we’ll miss him.

Thank you Fred, for always being there.

Eric Martignetti is a UMass student.