Hull joins 700-goal club as Red Wings win

DETROIT (AP) – Brett Hull wanted to make history on the same night his team won. He got his wish.

Hull became the sixth NHL player to score 700 regular-season goals when he beat San Jose’s Evgeni Nabokov with a wrist shot in the second period of a 5-4 victory Monday night.

Detroit’s Patrick Boileau scored his second career goal with 2:37 remaining to win it.

“It’s big that we won,” Hull said. “The last thing I wanted was to get that goal when we were down 4-0 or something.”

Hull was held without a goal in his previous seven games after scoring on Jan. 22 in Edmonton. Detroit snapped a six-game winless streak by beating the Sharks.

“I think it was a relief for everybody involved – the fans, players, Hully – we’ve all been feeling it lately,” said Detroit’s Brendan Shanahan, who also scored Monday night.

Only Wayne Gretzky scored 700 goals faster than Hull, who hit the mark in his 1,157th game. Gretzky, who finished with 894 goals, scored 700 in 886 games.

Gordie Howe (801), Marcel Dionne (731), Phil Esposito (717) and Mike Gartner (708) are the only other players to accomplish the feat.

“It’s part of history and it was quite exciting to have been there,” Detroit coach Dave Lewis said. “It was a special moment. I’m glad all the fans here in Detroit got to see that. It’s like, you’re not going to see a lot of that happen.

“It’s a special, special moment in NHL history.”

The milestone goal was a one-timer from the bottom of the left circle after a cross-ice pass from Pavel Datsyuk.

He was asked if it was “a vintage Brett Hull goal.”

“I would think so,” he said. “That’s my spot, I guess.”

In the only other NHL games, Minnesota edged Philadelphia 1-0, and Vancouver beat Chicago 2-1.

Hull’s father, Hall of Famer Bobby Hull, scored 610 goals in 1,063 games over 16 NHL seasons. Brett Hull passed his father on the career list with his first goal of the 2000-01 season – his final year in Dallas. He said his father didn’t attend Monday’s game.

Hull began his career with Calgary and scored 26 goals with the Flames before being traded to St. Louis during the 1987-88 season.

It was with the Blues that Hull became “The Golden Brett,” a takeoff of his father’s nickname “The Golden Jet,” stemming from their blond hair.

In 10-plus seasons in St. Louis, the 38-year-old Hull scored 527 goals, including 72 in 1989-90, 86 the following season – a record for a right wing – and 70 in the next. He surpassed the 50-goal mark in each of the next two seasons.

Following a 27-goal campaign in 1997-98, Hull signed as a free agent with Dallas. He scored 95 goals in three seasons with the Stars, including 32 in 1998-99. He added eight goals in the playoffs and scored the heavily disputed Stanley Cup-clinching goal in triple overtime in Game 6 of the finals in Buffalo.

Hull signed with the Red Wings before last season and scored 30 goals, helping Detroit to another Stanley Cup title. He has 21 goals this season, and has reached 20 in each of his 16 NHL seasons.

If he scores 14 more this season, an option in his contract will keep him in Detroit for another year. If Hull doesn’t reach 35 goals, he will become an unrestricted free agent.

“I’m lucky, thankful and fortunate,” Hull said.

“He’s a great player … it’s a great goal for him,” Nabokov said. “It’s not a great goal for us.”

Kris Draper and Henrik Zetterberg got the other Detroit goals. Mark Smith, Brad Stuart, Owen Nolan and Scott Thornton scored for San Jose.

Wild 1, Flyers 0

At Philadelphia, Manny Fernandez, in his first start since missing 13 games with an injured right knee, got his seventh career shutout. Fernandez turned away 30 shots.

In his first shutout of the season, Fernandez was rarely tested. A tenacious Minnesota defense helped send the Flyers to their eighth shutout loss of the season, the most since they were blanked eight times in 1969-70.

The Wild tied a franchise record with their 12th road victory in their 27th game away from home. Minnesota didn’t win its 12th road game last year until its 68th game and 36th away from home.

Pascal Dupuis scored the only goal.

Canucks 2, Blackhawks 1

At Vancouver, British Columbia, Markus Naslund’s NHL-leading 37th goal early in the third period lifted the Canucks.

Trent Klatt scored in the second period as Vancouver extended its unbeaten streak to seven games.

Mark Bell spoiled Cloutier’s shutout bid with 42 seconds left, but the Blackhawks failed to catch Anaheim for eighth place in the Western Conference. Chicago finished a seven-game road trip with a 2-4-1 record, and has just two wins in its last 11 games.

Todd Bertuzzi assisted on Naslund’s goal to extend his points streak to 11 games, the longest active streak in the league.