Isiah disrespects Boston

Don’t bother trying to get those trusty 10 dollar upper balcony seats for the Celtics-Pacers game, Feb. 26 at the FleetCenter. The zippy, Causeway Street scalpers have already got to them. If you want to see Paul Pierce and Antoine Walker punish Indiana coach Isiah Thomas for his blatant disrespect of them in last weekend’s All-Star game, it’s going to run you at least eight hours of minimum wage.

But it’ll be worth it, even if you have to grow a mullet, stop showering, and sit outside South Station shaking a Dunkin Donuts cup at passersby. Going by the grousing second-half looks of Paul and Antoine as they sat on the East bench Sunday in Atlanta, powerless under charge of the old, lordly Piston, avengement is definitely in order.

[Note: Remember the 1987 Eastern Conference Finals, when the defending champion Boston Celtics were losing to the gritty Detroit Pistons and in jeopardy of dropping Game 5, which would have put the Pistons in good position to clinch the series at Detroit in Game 6? With the Celtics down one point, only a few seconds remaining and the Pistons in possession of the basketball, the Luck O’ Boston struck once again…]

The Green’s All-Star duo played a combined total of 27 minutes last weekend, 18 for Pierce and nine for Walker. All of those minutes would have been first half ones had Michael Jordan not conceded after the first overtime. That’s the only reason Pierce got an extra five. He wasn’t supposed to play anymore.

Toward the end of the fourth quarter, Craig Sager, court reporter for TNT, asked the two Celtics why they hadn’t found time in the second half. “Ask the coach,” they responded. Thomas’ answer? “It’s my team.”

[…As Detroit’s Isiah Thomas set to inbound the ball from the sideline, Boston’s Larry Bird kept an eye on him and saw Thomas glance toward Pistons center Bill Laimbeer, situated in the low post. Bird then, making one of the greatest plays in NBA history, cut into the passing lane and stole the ball…]

Sorry, Zeke. Try again. Your team is Indiana. Not the Eastern Conference All-Stars. No one’s going to fire you for losing an All-Star game. No one actually cares if you lose an All-Star game. No one even cares if you win.

Just play everyone so that Little Timmy in Southie has an excuse to stay up past his bedtime. It doesn’t matter that ‘Toine’s shooting percentage was as inadequate as Mariah Carey’s halftime performance. Or that The Truth missed all of his 3-point heaves in the first half. Nothing like that matters in an All-Star game.

If victory meant homecourt advantage in the NBA Finals for the winning conference, then fine. Do what you have to do. Play the guys who are hot. But when victory only means an extra $10,000 (into the pockets of multi-millionaires), what does it matter? This game is about as worthless as a Yen in Turkey.

I’m glad Thomas forgot about his aging, boring clash with MJ, let His Airness play 36 minutes and gave him the opportunity to drill the should-have-been game-winner in his final All-Star appearance (or so it seems). He deserved it more than anyone ever will.

But there’s no way Thomas can admirably back his decision to snub the Boston boys. Yesterday on ESPN’s “Pardon The Interruption”, Michael Wilbon said the verdict was based on the fact Pierce and Walker were acting like children, chanting incessantly at their teammates to pass to Jordan each trip down the court. But that’s equally as wrong as stealing sugar packets from McDonald’s.

Everyone wanted MJ to do well, especially those who’ve idolized him, Pierce and Walker included. It’s no reason not to play them, especially in a game created entirely for the fans. Fans that like rim-rocking jams, 40-foot bombs, and slinky-like passes. Not cocky, hotshot coaches. How many times Sunday did Zeke compliments come pouring from the Atlanta crowd? “Wow, nice coaching move, Isiah.” “Way to make the right decisions.”

[…Bird nearly fell victim to the baseline, but the Legend somehow managed to keep his balance, spin around, and find teammate Dennis Johnson cutting down toward the basket. Bird flung the ball to a cutting Johnson who laid it in with one second remaining for the 108-107 victory.]

Just admit it, Isiah. You hate Boston.

[“If Bird was black, he’d be just another good guy,” said Thomas, after the Celtics’ eventual series win.]

When you see green, it feels like you’ve just downed a pint of vinegar. Accidentally put two tablespoons of salt in your coffee. Been left off the Dream Team, the greatest basketball team ever assembled. Ever.

[“…And, now there’s a steal by Bird!! Underneath to DJ, lays it in! Right at one second left! What a play by Bird!”]

I’m not saying you’re bitter, or anything like that. Just that you hate us. It’s been how many years now?

Coach Thomas, you’ve messed with the wrong city. And when you come back to Boston, Paul, Antoine and the rest of us leprechauns won’t let your team forget it.

Eric Soderstrom is a Collegian Columnist.