An epic night

ORONO, Me. – “Wow. Wow.”

Perhaps Matt Walsh’s words following Friday’s 4-2 win over Maine that clinched a sweep for the visiting Minutemen best captured the emotions of everyone around UMass hockey.

As the final seconds ticked away and the hockey world felt shockwaves that had an epicenter located in the middle of Maine, it was easy to feel the entire UMass family smiling.

When the final buzzer sounded, those on the ice did an about face and those on the bench hopped over the boards to swarm freshman goaltender Gabe Winer, who played with the maturity and poise of someone who had been in that position a number of times.

But the truth is, nobody in UMass hockey history – or Hockey East history, for that matter – had been in that position before. The Maine Black Bears had been 21-0 in the conference quarterfinals at home, and had lost just one quarterfinal game overall, in their storied history. Yet here were the visitors – a lineup that featured just four upperclassmen – poised to not only beat, but sweep, coach Tim Whitehead’s team on the road.

The Minutemen played with the skill that they have shown throughout the season, but brought with them the composure of a veteran squad. Yet following Friday’s victory, they turned the switch off and enjoyed the moment.

Each player came off the ice greeted by not only their teammates, but also a small collective of the UMass faithful who made the voyage to the vast stretches of forest that characterize the middle of Maine. They got high fives all around as they entered the tunnel to get to the locker room.

First came the younger players, all smiles. Then came the more established players – Greg Mauldin yelling coming off the ice, embracing Mike Warner, and coming through the gauntlet to get to the locker room. Thomas P