Injuries in action

Imagine this scenario. You’re a professional wrestler. You’re on the road more than you’re home. You see your family less than you see your co-workers, and there’s no such thing as personal time. Oh, and job security? It doesn’t really exist in this world. There are always younger, more creative wrestlers working their way through independent federations, threatening to sweep in and make themselves comfortable in your spot on the World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) roster. But you have no real complaints about any of this, because this is the life you chose, the life you dreamed about since you were six and first watched Hulk Hogan make his way to the ring to ‘The Real American.’ Nothing can stop you and nothing can go wrong…until it does and your world is taken away from you in the blink of an eye.

It will happen without warning. The miscalculation of a stunt from the top turnbuckle can send you to the mat in a completely different landing than the one planned. Your opponent can fail to protect you properly as he or she applies a finishing move to end the match. You could adjust your own wrestling in attempts to protect one injured body part, not realizing you’re damaging another by doing so.

It has happened to Steve Austin, Chris Benoit, Rhyno, Bob “Hardcore” Holly, Scotty 2 Hotty and Lita, as well as scores of other professional wrestlers in the history of the sport. As of late, one of the most common injuries – and the one that affected those listed above – seems to be to the neck, and fans can add one more wrestler to the disabled list. The WWE announced Feb. 27 the superstar known as Edge will become the latest grappler to undergo neck surgery that will fuse two vertebrae into one and derail his career for at least a year, if not longer.

Whatever the cause of injury, the result can be career ending and devastating – both physically and psychologically.

“Obviously with any injury you just don’t feel like yourself,” Lita, a WWE diva, said in the October 2002 RAW magazine. “I lost a lot of confidence. My life came to a screeching halt.”

For athletes like professional wrestlers, having neck fusion surgery means giving up a level of autonomy that most find hard to part with. These men and women put their bodies on the line every day to perform superhuman stunts. The word helpless is not in their vocabulary, and learning the meaning of it can be a very hard lesson, indeed. The inability to do the most basic of tasks – like lifting a milk carton or even walking – can cripple the psyche. Strength and coordination return slowly through rehabilitation and exercise, but the memory of the time spent completely incapacitated takes its toll on confidence and self-esteem. There’s also the nagging doubt that a full recovery will happen.

So far, three superstars have returned to full-time work in the WWE ring – Steve Austin, Chris Benoit and, most recently, Rhyno. All can attest to just how hard the road to recovery is, especially when it comes to watching your friends and co-workers doing what you are no longer physically able to do. However, there are always options for sidelined wrestlers, though they may not always be appealing to the injured party.

When Lita was ready to contribute to the company again, the WWE offered her a spot commentating on the Sunday night show, “Heat,” that airs on MTV. She took the position, though she knew that announcing wasn’t her strength, because she needed to be as close to the ring as she could get without actually wrestling.

“It’s definitely a good learning experience,” she said in an article on WWE.com. “I just feel very out of my element.”

Others, like Edge, won’t even consider being that close to the action while out of commission.

“I would rather not be ‘Announcer Edge’,” he said in an interview on WWE.com. “I’m a wrestler. I’m not an announcer. I would rather be gone and come back. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. I’d rather let it heal and come back 100 percent. I want to come back with a whole lot of momentum.”

Stone Cold is back. Chris Benoit is back. Rhyno has returned, and Lita is well on her way to being able to fly off the top rope once more. Edge is scheduled to have his surgery on March 10. Seven athletes have already paid for the risks they have taken in the ring. How many more will pay before wrestlers realize they need to slow down?

“It’s not smash-up derby. It’s professional wrestling.” Steve Austin told WWE.com.

I never thought I’d say this but, for once, I agree with him.

Emilie Duggan-Hicks is a Collegian Columnist.